Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand (January)


The Wycliffe New Testament (I'm getting ready to read 2 Timothy, just having finished 1 Timothy last night)--Curious about the Wycliffe? This past week I had three posts highlighting the Wycliffe translation--sharing favorite passages from the first three gospels, Matthew, Mark, and Luke.)
The ESV Study Bible (I'm reading Genesis. I've read Genesis 1-28 so far this month. I'm hoping--perhaps foolishly so--to finish Genesis in January.)
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. (I started this around the first of the month. I'm 398 pages in, but there are 1170 total. So I'll probably still be reading this at the end of February.)
The Dust of 100 Dogs by A.S. King. (I started this last night.)
The Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke (I started this last week, but haven't picked it up since that first night. Need to get back to it.)
Dune by Frank Herbert (I'm liking it okay, but really, it's just making me want to watch the movie.)
Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton. (I'm liking this one, but I like the premise of it more than anything actually about the book itself. It is a sequel to all six of Austen's novels. Characters from all her books interacting together.)

7 comments:

Nise' said...

Old Friends and New Fancies has me intrigued. The Centurion's Wife is on my stack as well.

Robin M said...

I read the dune series eons ago when I was teenager. Enjoy!

I read Don quixote a couple years back and found it amusing as well as interesting. Have fun.

ibeeeg said...

How do you like The Wycliffe New Testament? I have been curious about this bible for months now...the 1338 version.

Carrie said...

You always have lots of good stuff "in the hopper" to be read. Looks good as usual. I haven't read Don Quixote yet so I'll be looking forward to your review!

Anonymous said...

Dune got me through 11th grade (along with a lot of other sci-fi authors)!

Austen spinoffs are of interest, although often I can't get past the first chapter. I'll have to check this one out. :)

Becky said...

Ibeeeg, I'm using the 1388 edition edited by William Cooper. And I'm loving it. If you'll look for my "Translation of the Week" feature, I've pulled quotes from Matthew, Mark, and Luke. I've linked it in the post above.

Cynda Western Felini said...

I loved Don Quixote! Interesting about the Brinton book. I should add that one to my reading list. You know my love of Jane Austen!