Saturday, January 9, 2010

Faith 'n' Fiction Saturday: New Year Resolutions


Today I thought it might be beneficial to talk about our New Year's resolutions. Do you have any New Year's resolutions? Do any of your resolutions pertain to your spiritual disciplines or to your reading life?
I have several goals when it comes to both actually. I am always seeking a better balance, a better fit.

To read the Bible every day. I'm working on several Bibles actually, and while it will not likely be any "one" bible that I finish, I'd like to finish all the books of the Bible this year. A patchwork of translations I suppose! Last year, I believe I ended up with 54 out of the 66. Not bad, certainly way better than the past few years combined. But still just a few short from where I'd liked to have been.

To read more christian nonfiction. I have so many stacks of good-looking (that is books that look like they'll be good) christian nonfiction about my room. But my follow through isn't the best. Not at all. I probably have a dozen started-but-never-finished books already. So my goal is to read more. Now, they don't all have to be long, or thick, or meaty. (By meaty I mean using long words that I haven't a chance of understanding and heavy on the footnotes.) But I'd like to have a diverse read pile by the end of the year.

To read more christian fiction. I did so good last year (for me). I went from having read like ten books the year before (2008) to reading almost fifty give or take a few. Which is a really big accomplishment (for me). But I'd like to keep this up and keep it going. Last year, I think I read in little bursts. I might read six one month and then go a few months without having read anything. So a bit more balance maybe?! I don't know. I'd like to read more new-to-me authors but I never know quite where to start.

To read more children's books with christian content/appeal.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: