Saturday, March 10, 2012

Kroll Method, Week of March 4-10


This was my first full week of trying Woodrow Kroll's method of reading the Bible. In case you didn't read my monthly goals post, essentially, it is just to read each book of the Bible all the way through in one sitting. This is something that is oh-so-easy to do when it is say, Jonah, Ruth, Obadiah, Jude, Galatians, etc. (Essentially, for me, any book under 7 or 8 chapters.) It seems completely, completely absurd when considering (dare I even consider it for a minute?) longer books like Psalms, Ezekiel, and Genesis. Could I really, truly ever sit down and read 150 Psalms in "one sitting." Even if I made one sitting mean one day?! I'm not sure. I do know that the biggest obstacle comes from the reader. I think it's just natural to have mind-blocks, of course, these might be different for every reader. Some people that mind-block might come after one chapter, two chapters, three chapters, four chapters. But I do think--especially with longer books--that the mind says, "stop, stop, you've read enough for today!" and "don't you think this is a good stopping place?" I also think habits have a little something to do with it. For example, it is my habit to read Romans in two settings: one day reading Romans 1-8, the next day reading Romans 9-16. Or, for me to read Matthew in three settings: one day reading Matthew 1-4, the next day reading Matthew 5-17, the last day reading Matthew 18-28. So I think telling yourself that you can do it, that this is possible, that this is natural, that this is worth doing is the first step.

Living Insights, NIV

  • Psalms 76-150
  • Proverbs 15-31
  • Exodus 31-40
  • 1 Samuel 26-31
  • John 17-21
  • Acts 1-28

ESV, Reformation Study Bible (though at this point, I'm not reading the notes, just the book introductions)

  • Romans
  • Daniel
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Micah
  • Nahum
  • 1 John
  • 2 John
  • 3 John
  • Obadiah
  • Habakkuk
  • Zephaniah
  • Haggai
  • Zechariah
  • Malachi
  • Hosea
  • Ecclesiastes
  • Jude
  • Revelation
  • 1 Chronicles
  • Galatians
  • 1 Corinthians
  • Matthew
  • Song of Solomon
  • 2 Corinthians
  • Titus
  • Philemon
  • Ezra
  • 1 Thessalonians
  • 2 Thessalonians
  • James
  • Ruth
  • Psalms 1-10


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: