Saturday, May 2, 2015

Music Review: Precious Memories I and II

Today I'm writing about two albums: Precious Memories and Precious Memories II. Both are hymn collections by Alan Jackson. The first came out in 2012, the second in 2013. Both are new discoveries for me.

First, I have to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both albums. I do. I wasn't expecting to love them so very much. Partly because I'm not exactly a fan of Alan Jackson's country music albums. But after listening to just a couple of songs, I was hooked.

I love the selection of hymns on the albums. On the first album:

  • Blessed Assurance
  • Softly & Tenderly
  • I Love To Tell the Story
  • When We All Get To Heaven
  • 'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
  • In the Garden
  • Are You Washed in the Blood?
  • I'll Fly Away
  • What A Friend We Have In Jesus
  • Standing on the Promises
  • Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
  • Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
  • The Old Rugged Cross
  • How Great Thou Art
  • I Want To Stroll Over Heaven With You

The only song I wasn't familiar with was I Want To Stroll Over Heaven With You.

On the second album:

  • Amazing Grace
  • He Lives
  • Just As I Am
  • Love Lifted Me
  • O How I Love Jesus
  • Only Trust Him
  • There Is Power in the Blood
  • Precious Memories
  • Sweet Hour of Prayer
  • When the Roll is Called Up Yonder
  • Wherever He Leads I'll Go

I love that the songs are recognizable and familiar. The melodies are the melodies you know and love. I love the harmonies and the echoes. Nothing dramatic or over-the-top has been done in the arrangements to make these songs new, exciting, and unique. So listening to these songs make you feel right at home, there's a joy that comes from listening and from joining in.

I also love that there's a nice balance between fast (songs like Are You Washed in the Blood? and I'll Fly Away) and slow songs (like The Old Rugged Cross and How Great Thou Art). Most are a happy medium between the two.

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see a third album. I would love Alan Jackson to cover songs like: "Soon and Very Soon," "Because He Lives," "Mansion Over The Hilltop," "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot," "Love, Mercy, and Grace," "Victory in Jesus," "Old Time Religion," "Since Jesus Came Into My Heart," "Rock of Ages," "Lily of the Valley." I could go on and on!

Alan Jackson, live, How Great Thou Art
Alan Jackson, Are You Washed in the Blood/ I'll Fly Away (live)

Which hymns are your favorite? Do you have a favorite hymns album to recommend?

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: