Thursday, November 17, 2016

Quotes from the Cloud #38



This year, I hope share weekly posts of quotes. These quotes are from authors I'm reading and enjoying from the Clouds of Witnesses Reading Challenge.

Had I been Joseph's mother
I'd have prayed
protection from his brothers:
"God keep him safe;
he is so young,
so different from
the others."
Mercifully
she never knew
there would be slavery
and prison, too.
Had I been Moses' mother
I'd have wept
to keep my little son;
praying she might forget
the babe drawn from the water
of the Nile,
had I not kept
him for her
nursing him the while?
Was he not mine
and she
but Pharaoh's daughter?
Had I been Daniel's mother
I should have pled
"Give victory!
This Babylonian horde--
godless and cruel--
don't let them take him captive
--better dead,
Almighty Lord!"
Had I been Mary--
Oh, had I been she,
I would have cried
as never mother cried,
"…Anything, O God,
anything…
but crucified!"
With such prayers
importunate
my finite wisdom
would assail
Infinite Wisdom;
God how fortunate
Infinite Wisdom
should prevail~ Ruth Bell Graham



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: