Friday, September 22, 2017

Book Review: Cherished Mercy

Cherished Mercy. (Heart of the Frontier #3) Tracie Peterson. 2017. Bethany House. 310 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: "Push, Hope. You have to push," Grace commanded. Mercy Flanagan wiped her sister's forehead as she labored to give birth to her baby. After ten hours of intense pain, Hope had clearly weakened.

Premise/plot: Cherished Mercy is the third book in Tracie Peterson's Heart of the Frontier series. Previous books in the series have focused on Grace and Hope, Mercy's two older sisters. In the novel, Mercy follows her heart and goes to help a friend in need even though there is some risk involved. Eletta is pregnant and her husband, Isaac, is very worried about her because the pregnancy is proving to be so difficult and dangerous.

The risk involved? Well, traveling throughout Oregon territory with the tension and unrest of the region. There are many--particularly in the army, particularly the government--who believe the Native Americans should be gotten out of the way. The nicest want the Indians kept on a reservation out of their way. The cruelest? Well, they subscribe to the notion that the only good Indian is a dead one. On her travels, Mercy meets some cruel men who are eager and excited at the idea of killing Indians.

Mercy moves in with Eletta, Isaac, their daughter Faith, and Adam (Isaac's brother). She comes to love them and their community. Isaac, Eletta, and Adam work very closely with one (maybe two) of the Native tribes. The ties of friendship are strong. But a series of worse case scenarios happens...leaving plenty of questions about what will happen next.

My thoughts: I've enjoyed the other books in the series. But I really loved, loved, loved Cherished Mercy. I think I loved Mercy the best of all the sisters. I love her compassionate spirit; I love her bravery. I love her honesty and genuineness. I also came to love Adam. The characterization is so good in this series. I almost hate for the series to end. I would definitely recommend the trilogy.          

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: