Wednesday, December 13, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #26

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Sermon 63 (Psalm 119:56)

  • First, He that continueth faithful in a course of obedience will find at length that it will turn to a good account. Secondly, That it is of great use to observe what good cometh to us by keeping close to God’s ways.
  • For the first point, he that continueth faithful in a course of obedience will find at length that it will turn to a good account. Here three things are to be explained:— 1. What it is to keep God’s precepts. 2. What is the good that accrueth to us thereby. 3. The connection between both these, or the reasons and grounds upon which we may expect this good.
  • Let us inquire what it is to keep God’s precepts. The phrase is often used in scripture, implying a diligent observance of it, and obedience thereunto. The term keep relateth to a charge or trust committed to us.
  • Now, there is a twofold keeping of God’s precepts—legal and evangelical.
  • The legal keeping, that is when we keep and perform the commandments so exactly as is answerable to the rigour of the law. What is that? The law requires perfect and absolute obedience, without the least failing in any one point.
  • There is an evangelical keeping God’s precepts, and that is filial and sincere obedience; and so they are said to keep God’s precepts, not they who have no sin in them, but they who study to be free from sin, and desire to please God in all things.
  • Let me instance in the benefits that believers find by walking with God in a course of obedience, that every one can say, This I had, because I kept thy precepts. Peace of conscience. Next to peace of conscience there is joy in the Holy Ghost; this is the fruit of peace, as peace is the fruit of righteousness. Increase of grace. Another benefit that we have is many gracious experiences and manifestations of God vouchsafed to us in the way of obedience. In the present world God and believers are not strange to one another; a man that walketh close with him will meet him at every turn. Protection in their work. In public and common judgments God maketh a difference; and some of his choice ones are marked out for preservation, and are as brands plucked out of the burning, whilst others are consumed therein. So much of sanctified prosperity as shall be good for them.
  • The next thing is to show you what connection there is between these two, obedience and this good, or the reason of the Lord’s dealing thus.
  • All the comfort we have is from mercy; yea, undeserved mercy. Those that walk according to this rule stand in need of mercy. Their peace and comfort floweth from mercy; they need mercy to cover the failings they are conscious to in their walkings. And then consider his truth and faithfulness. The reward of well-doing cometh not by the worthiness of the work, but by virtue of God’s promise: His word doth good to them that walk uprightly,’ Micah 2:7. God hath made himself a debtor by his promise, and oweth us no thanks for what we can do; it is only his gracious promise.
  • There is a great deal of difference between carnal boasting and gracious observation. Carnal boasting is when we vaunt of our personal worth; gracious observation is when, for God’s glory and our profit, we observe the fruits of obedience, and the benefits it bringeth along with it. That God never gave us cause to leave, but to commend his service, and, by what we have found, to invite others to come and taste that the Lord is gracious.’
  • The child of God may have a hard toilsome life of it, but he hath his mixtures of comfort in his deepest afflictions; he hath peace with God, that keeps his heart and mind, and maketh his passage through the world tolerable, because God is engaged with him.
  • A comfortable passing out of the world. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: