Friday, December 15, 2017

My Autumn with Psalm 119 #27

I will be continuing on in my study of Psalm 119 this autumn. I have spent months reading Thomas Manton's exposition of Psalm 119. In December, I hope to cover the next sixteen verses of Psalm 119.

49 Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope.
50 My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.
51 The arrogant mock me unmercifully, but I do not turn from your law.
52 I remember, Lord, your ancient laws, and I find comfort in them.
53 Indignation grips me because of the wicked, who have forsaken your law.
54 Your decrees are the theme of my song wherever I lodge.
55 In the night, Lord, I remember your name, that I may keep your law.
56 This has been my practice: I obey your precepts.
57 You are my portion, Lord; I have promised to obey your words.
58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 I have considered my ways and have turned my steps to your statutes.
60 I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.
61 Though the wicked bind me with ropes, I will not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.
63 I am a friend to all who fear you, to all who follow your precepts.
64 The earth is filled with your love, Lord; teach me your decrees.

Sermon 64 (Psalm 119:57)


  • DAVID doth in this place make out his right and title, Thou art my portion, O Lord,’ &c. Here is— 1. David’s protestation, thou art my portion, O Lord. 2. David’s resolution, I have said that I would keep thy words.
  • Take notice of David’s resolution, I have said that I would keep thy word.’ It is good to see what kind of inference the saints draw from this principle, that God is their portion.
  • In this resolution we may observe— 1. The formality or manner of making, I have said: it is by way of practical decree. 2. The matter of it, I will keep thy words.
  • Many good motions we start, but they die away for want of corning to a resolution, or issuing forth a practical decree for God.
  • Two points lie clear in the text:— 1. That God alone is the godly man’s portion. 2. That those which have chosen God for their portion will manifest it by a fixed resolution and strict care of obedience. It must needs be so; if God be his portion, his great business will be to keep in with him.
  • God is not your God unless he be set uppermost in your souls; he cannot be your portion unless he be your chiefest good. There is no possibility of entering into covenant with God unless you subscribe to this main article.
  • We should have no rest in ourselves until we come to the enjoyment of God. God was not refreshed from his work, he rested not until he made man; therefore man should not rest until he comes to God. God takes us for his portion, and therefore you should take God for your portion.
  • Holiness is a means of maintaining communion between us and God, and keeping up an interest in him as our only happiness.
  • Unless there be a care to please him, certainly you do not choose him for your portion; for if all your comfort and happiness lies in God, all your diligence and care Will be to please God.
  • They that love God will love his word, and if they love it they will live by it, and square their actions accordingly. By careless walking you blot your evidences, and so weaken your comfort.



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: