Saturday, December 27, 2008

Other ways you COULD keep track of your progress

Through the years, I've tried several different ways to keep track of my own Bible reading. I created this weekly chart for my mom, she's been using it around two years now. And she loves it. I thought I'd share in case you (or your mom for that matter!) would like to give it a try. For the chart to make sense, you'll probably need to refer to this initial listing. You might not need it for long though! The more you get used to the system, the less you need to refer back to it.

Or if you're keeping track of multiple Bibles, you might want to make a spreadsheet like this one. You can change the names of the Bible you're working on--the one in this spreadsheet uses the Bibles that I'm working on. But you can use my example as a basis for your own if you like.

I haven't figured out how to do this on my newish Mac yet. But on my old one--the one with Apple Works (cwk) not this Pages nonsense--I had two different bookmarks. One long and skinny bookmark that you could fit four to a page and print off on card stock and have laminated. And one bookmark that you could print on a 4 x 6 index card. (I did this in the 'draw' part of the application. I haven't figured out a way to duplicate this in Word.) Then I'd just have a stash of them printed up. I'd keep one bookmark per bible and keep it in the bible itself, and as I'd finish a book, I'd check it off.

You've probably noticed my widgets. These are great fun. I use the Savings Ticker. You pick the icons/background. You give a password for your project. You name it. And you set the boundaries. In the case of the bible it might be 66 for the whole bible, 39 for the Old Testament, 27 for the New Testament, or whatever combination you might think of--29 for New Testament and Psalms and Proverbs. It's pretty self explanatory. That being said, if you want to add this ticker to your own site and you should have questions about it--I'm happy to answer questions via email. There is no such thing as a "dumb" question. So don't be embarrassed.

Another way to keep track online if you're already blogging is to create a blog post per Bible. Probably most participants are just trying to work through one Bible. But then again, you've got crazy old me who wants to do more than one. You can either number 1 through 66 (or whatever number your aiming for) OR cut and paste a listing of the books of the Bible. Or you might even cut and paste a listing that breaks each book of the Bible into chapters. That way you can either strike through books you've read (see how here, OR bold the ones you've read...OR mark them in a different color, etc.

You could do the same thing on your blog's sidebar if you like.

Have you got an idea you'd like to share with fellow participants? Something that works for you? Something you're looking forward to trying? Leave a comment!






Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: