Friday, August 12, 2016

Book Review: My Little Golden Book About God

My Little Golden Book About God. Jane Werner Watson. Illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. 1956. 24 pages. [Source: Gift]

First sentence: GOD IS GREAT.

Premise/plot: Originally published in the 1950s, My Little Golden Book About God is a picture book for young children about GOD. The book is written is simple, yet detailed too. All in rhyme as well.

My thoughts: It is not theological in nature. But I'm not convinced it has to be or needs to be. It is not a gospel presentation or tract. It is not a catechism. It is a story parents can share with their children, perhaps even as a bedtime story. I do think it is important for parents to talk about God, to talk with their children as if God was very real, very present with them. I think it is a good thing to encourage kids to think about God, to talk about God, to ask questions, etc.

God is presented as CREATOR and SUSTAINER of the world. He has planned everything; everything is under his control. God is always there.

Can you believe this book is turning SIXTY?

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: