Saturday, March 3, 2012

March 2012 Goals


It's the third of March, and, I don't have any *real* idea what my goals for March are in terms of Bible reading. True, in mid-February, I thought it might be a re-imagining of the Professor Horner system only made more to my liking. And that's what I've done the past two weeks, getting an "early" start on it. But. What I've learned is that this isn't really the way I like to read the Bible. Yes, it's fun to make lists sometimes. It's even fun to stick with lists. Sometimes. But I want more, I need more.

I do plan on finishing Psalms, Proverbs, Exodus, and John in the Living Insights Bible. (I'm undecided if I'll stick with Jeremiah in it. I'm not *that far* into it.) And I will probably go ahead and read Acts in it since that would be a complete New Testament reading in the NIV. But beyond that I'm not sure I want to commit to reading the whole Bible in that translation.

I am leaning towards trying Woodrow Kroll's system of reading books of the Bible in one sitting.
 How does the plan work? It's embarrassingly simple. Just read one book of your Bible all the way through in one sitting. "You mean...?" Yes, read the whole book. Get the full story the writer intended you to get. Start at the beginning and don't quit until you reach the end. It sounds a little nutty, I know, but don't dismiss it until you've tried it. It's not really a novel idea, except as it applies to reading the Bible.
and
Nearly forty books of the Bible can be read in an hour or less. Half the books of the Bible can be read in less than thirty minutes. And twenty-six books can be read in fifteen minutes or less. That's pretty amazing for a book that many people think is too massive to read. When you think about it, time really isn't the problem when it comes to reading the Bible. It's a good excuse, but not good enough. How much we read of the only book God ever wrote depends mostly on how much of it we want to read. Reading God's Word is less dependent on our schedule and more dependent on our desire and discipline. (12-13)
and
Reading whole books of the Bible in one sitting sounds like a crazy idea, but it works...Sometimes the more unusual the idea, the more likely it is to work.
I am hoping that this will help me complete some of what I'm missing. Looking at January's and February's records...

  • 1 Chronicles
  • 2 Chronicles
  • Daniel
  • Joel
  • Amos
  • Obadiah
  • Jonah
  • Micah
  • Nahum
  • Habakkuk
  • Haggai
  • Zechariah
  • Malachi

Though I don't know if I'll really, really try to read 1 Chronicles or 2 Chronicles in just one sitting apiece!!!

While I think I've decided to "try" the Woodrow Kroll method for March, I'm still undecided *which* Bible(s) I'll be using. Here are the two that are tempting me...


and


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Annette said...

I'm a list maker, just the way I organize. I read ahead sometimes in the Grant Horner's Bible Reading System. I think I prefer though freedom as to how much I read at one sitting. I just changed from Common English Bible to English Standard Version.