Saturday, December 31, 2011

2012 Challenges: Mount TBR Reading Challenge


I am joining My Reader's Block Mount TBR Reading Challenge. I am going to start by joining at the level of Pike's Peak, which is twelve books. My true goal is 24 books--two books a month. But since the next level is 25 books, and since I don't always, always, always read according to plan, I'm going to go with Pike's Peak. I hope I can manage at least twelve books from the TBR pile next year!!!

So. I'll fill in the books I read on this post...

1. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church. Michael Horton.
2. The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World. Michael Horton.
3. Grace God's Unmerited Favor. Charles Spurgeon.
4. The Practice of Praise: How To Develop the Habit of Abundant, Continual Praise In Your Daily Life by Charles Spurgeon.
5. Power in the Blood. Charles Spurgeon.
6. Being God's Friend. Charles Spurgeon.
7. Jesus, Our Man in Glory: 12 Messages from the Book of Hebrews. A.W. Tozer and Gerald B. Smith
8. Holy Spirit Power. Charles Spurgeon. 1996. Whitaker House. 170 pages.
9. Knowledge of the Holy. A.W. Tozer. 
10. The Root of the Righteous: Tapping The Bedrock of True Spirituality. A.W. Tozer. 
11. Nature of God (Formerly published as Gleanings in the Godhead). Arthur W. Pink.
12. Charity and Its Fruits: Living In the Light of God's Love. Jonathan Edwards.
13. Joy in Christ's Presence. Charles Spurgeon. 
14. Putting the Amazing Back Into Grace. Michael Horton. 
15. Worship: The Ultimate Priority. John MacArthur. 1983/2012. Moody. 192 pages.
16. A Faith To Grow On. John MacArthur. 2000/2004. Thomas Nelson. 192 pages.
17. Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace. James Montgomery Boice.
18. Twelve Unlikely Heroes: How God Commissioned Unexpected People in the Bible And What He Wants To Do With You. John MacArthur. 2012. Thomas Nelson. 240 pages.
19. Practical Religion. J.C. Ryle. 
20. Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots. J.C. Ryle


But. I thought I would share my ideas/intentions that I have now, in December 2011. I am going to try to stick with these authors and meet these goals. Because these authors have had multiple books (many, many, many, many books) in my TBR pile for years. And while I could never hope to pick specific books for this challenge--well, at least not and stick with them--I hope I can stick with these authors. But any twelve Christian nonfiction books from my shelves will count.

Two books written by Michael Horton

1. Christless Christianity: The Alternative Gospel of the American Church. Michael Horton.
2. The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World. Michael Horton.

Two books written by John MacArthur

1.
2.

Two books written by John Piper

1.
2.

Two books written by R.C. Sproul

1.
2.

One book written by Charles Spurgeon

1. Grace God's Unmerited Favor. Charles Spurgeon.

One book written by Erwin Lutzer

1.

One book written by Jonathan Edwards

1.

One book written by J.I. Packer

1.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to the challenge, Becky! So glad you'll be joining me on the mountain trek.