Thursday, December 29, 2016

What's Your Ebenezer?

I've mentioned this several times before, but, I am loving my Beyond Suffering Bible. The Word from Joni found in 1 Samuel is "My Wheelchair is My Ebenezer." The letter goes on to read,
"From the beginning, God has always sealed special events with some kind of physical memorial. He gave Noah a rainbow as a reminder of his covenant with humanity (Gen 9:17). He gave the Passover festival as a memorial of Israel’s deliverance from Egypt (Exod 12:17). He gave Moses the Law on two stone tablets (Exod 24:12). In the New Testament, the Lord Jesus provided us with the regular, physical reminder of his sacrifice for us through the elements of the Lord’s Supper (1 Cor 11:23-26).
We need these kinds of memorials in our present day, as well. For years now, I’ve looked at my wheelchair as my Ebenezer. It’s a visible, physical reminder; it’s my stone of remembrance to commemorate God’s grace in my life. It reminds me of how far the Lord has brought me, and everyone who sees me smile in this wheelchair knows that God is my help. Before the accident that landed me in my wheelchair, I was far from God and in real spiritual danger. But God rescued me through Christ, and now my wheelchair is a symbol of the grace that God has shown me. What are the memorials in your life? Do you have tangible reminders of God’s ever-present help? Maybe it’s a ring, a family Bible, a pair of crutches, or some memento from your journey—these things anchor the soul. When pain or sorrow become crushing, you can look at your memorial and pray, “Oh, God, thus far you have helped me, and I have every reason to believe you will continue to help me.” Then, rest your heart on the faithfulness of God and lift your Ebenezer high—no matter what the future brings."
The letter got me to thinking. It didn't take me long to conclude what MY ebenezer was. My ebenezer is a thirteen inch scar; a scar that to me speaks of LIFE, of hope, of faithfulness. God IS good. God IS faithful. God is ever-present. God does answer prayer. God is enough--more than sufficient for my every need. You don't have to convince me of God's Providence. I know God to be a provider of help and above all else a gracious, merciful life-giving God. To remember any of this, I just have to look down at my scar. Every day I see PROOF that God is good to me, that God's grace has covered me and upheld me. My scar to me is not ugly--despite what my sister says--it is beautiful. 

So my question is: What is your ebenezer? How has God helped you? What helps you to remember God's love and grace?
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalm 103:1-5

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: