Saturday, April 28, 2012

Second Impressions of the A.W. Tozer Bible

Earlier this month I shared my first impressions of a brand new devotional Bible, the A.W. Tozer Bible published by Hendrickson. At the time I was liking it but having a few reservations. To be exact, I was worried that the size of the font and the fact that it was red letter would prove too much for me to make the A.W. Tozer "my" Bible. (That is THE Bible that I read every day, as opposed to a Bible that I'd read every once in a while.)

So what books have I read in the one month that I've had this Bible?

Genesis
Ruth
1 Chronicles
2 Chronicles
Ezra
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Matthew
Mark
John
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Revelation

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Tozer quotes. I do. I am loving all three features:

  • "On Scripture" Over 365 selections add depth and insight to a particular verse's application for the believer.
  • "Reflections" More than 100 excerpts that apply the deep meaning of the Christian faith to everyday life.
  • "Challenges" Nearly 100 entries that exhort the reader to resist complacency in particular areas of one's "living out" in the world.

I think the Bible does a GREAT job at highlighting A.W. Tozer and his work. Reading these quotes day after day make me WANT even more Tozer. I've definitely started seeking out more Tozer books. And I've started buying more Tozer books. In the few weeks I've had this Bible, I think I've purchased at least three or four Tozer books!

It would probably be difficult to track down every single Tozer book to add to your library. But with this Bible you get a GOOD, very STRONG taste of Tozer. The Bible has excerpts or quotes from so very many Tozer books. Several dozen books at least. And these quotes do represent the best of the best of the best. And after spending some time with this Bible, you'll probably know exactly which books you want to track down first.

I know I've mentioned this before, but Tozer's zeal and enthusiasm for God is CONTAGIOUS. You can't help but get excited when you read Tozer. Tozer just has a very straight-forward, very honest, very tell-it-like-it-is, no-good-comes-from-sugar-coating approach to the Word. He talks about things that MATTER. His books aren't difficult to understand, but his ideas are challenging. They ask you to stop and consider. Are you living what you say you believe? Are you sure?


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Annette said...

I am so happy you are enjoying this Bible. Sounds wonderful!
I have read a few of his books: The Pursuit of God, 366 Day Devotional Tozer on the Almighty God, and Tozer: Mystery of the Holy Spirit.