Tuesday, February 6, 2024

15. My Jesus


My Jesus: From Heartache to Hope. Anne Wilson. 2022. 196 pages. [Source: Library] [Memoir, Biography, Music Industry]

First sentence: I sat on the front step with my backpack loaded for adventure, tapping my tennis shoe on the concrete. My older brother, Jacob, was supposed to pick me up at 3:00 that autumn afternoon, but he was late as usual.

This memoir is essentially the story behind the song, "My Jesus." It is a memoir capturing a very specific time in Anne Wilson's life. The book focuses on a) her coming to faith as a teen, b) the death of her older brother, Jacob, c) her being led by the Spirit to sing a song at her brother's funeral, d) everyone encouraging her to record a video of her singing the same [funeral] song, e) her singing video being 'discovered' on YouTube, f) how she got a manager, g) how she had songwriting sessions with others h) how she got a record deal i) the release of her single, "My Jesus." The overall main theme being how grief transformed her faith and her family. 

This felt more like it could have been or should have been a feature length article in a magazine, a blog post (or two), or a vlog series on YouTube. Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate and love the song, "My Jesus." I do like the country sound of Anne Wilson. 

For better or worse, it seems like Anne Wilson's faith is more than a little on the charismatic side. She talks of prophets and prophecies, dreams, visions, etc. Some of the theology feels a little questionable, a little strange, perhaps. There were a handful of scenes that just weren't my cup of tea. It's fine as a memoir, but I wouldn't classify it as "christian living." Her life story shouldn't necessarily serve as advice for others. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: