Monday, July 1, 2024

Putting a Pause on Two Bible translations?


Last year, I wrote a post on the "Bible Reader's Bill of Rights." It is much easier to come up with a list of ten rights then to put them into place. At least I think so. [These were inspired--loosely by Daniel Pennac's Reader's Bill of Rights.] The rights I came up with last year include:

1. The right to read ANY time of day (or night). 
2. The right to read at your own pace.
3. The right to follow a plan OR not follow a plan.
4. The right to choose ANY translation.
5. The right to choose ANY format--digital, print, audio.
6. The right to STOP reading any translation that isn't a good match.
7. The right to skip a day.
8. The right to have preferences.
9. The right to own many OR few.
10. The right to skim.

So often I start a translation and then feel absolutely obligated to finish it. Especially if I read more than a book or two. It is really hard for me to stop reading a translation if I've read say sixty percent of it. But is the just push through it philosophy the right one????  I'm not sure. The truth is there is no right answer. God isn't looking down saying WHY did you stop reading that translation??? 

I am currently "not feeling" the Living translation or the NASB 2020. 

I haven't decided to abandon them forever and ever--end of story. Just I get more out of my Bible reading if I enjoy the translation I'm reading from. 

NASB 2020. I lack Judges through Malachi and Romans through Revelation.

Living Bible. I lack 1 Kings through 2 Chronicles, Job, Isaiah through Daniel in the Old Testament. And in the New Testament I lack 1 Corinthians through Revelation. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: