Monday, November 21, 2016

2017 Operation Deepen Faith


I am changing things up from previous years. There will be only two parts. (Not eight like last year). Sign up for one or the other, or both! (A blog is not required. But if you do blog, do share a link.) To sign up 'officially,' leave a comment on this post. The challenge is from January 2017-December 2017.

I want the challenge to focus more on sharing and community-building. I will have check-in posts on the twenty-eighth of each month. Your checking in will be optional, of course. But I hope you do!  In addition to monthly check-in posts, I encourage you to follow me on twitter (@operationbible) and tweet me as often as you like regarding what you're reading and/or studying, what you're looking forward to reading, etc. One last thing, consider adding me and fellow participants to your blogroll, and cheer on other participants by reading reviews and leaving comments.

I. Wonderful Words of Life. Goal: Read the Bible. The goal isn't to read the Bible following a specific plan or by a certain date. The goal is to read the Bible. For some that might mean reading the Bible once a year. For others it might mean reading the Bible over two or three years. What matters is that you incorporate reading the Bible into your life. 

Looking for a plan? I've got a list:
  • Back to the Bible's 21 Day Bible Reading Challenge (John only)*
  • Back to the Bible's 90 Day Bible Reading Challenge (Genesis, Matthew, Mark, Luke only) (link to pdf file)*
  • Back to the Bible's 6 Month Bible Reading Challenge (Acts through Revelation, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes only) (link to pdf file)*
  • 5X5X5 Bible Reading Plan (New Testament Only, 5 Days A Week, 5 Minutes a Day) (link to pdf file)*
  • Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan (25 readings per month) (link to pdf file)
  • Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan (Book-at-a-Time) (25 readings per month) (link to pdf file)
  • (Whole) Bible in 90 Days Plan (link to pdf file)
  • John MacArthur's NT Plan (read a book 30 days in a row)
  • Woodrow Kroll's Plan (read whole books at a time; read a whole book of the Bible in one sitting)
  • Professor Horner's Bible Reading Plan (link to pdf file)
  • M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan (link to pdf file)
  • 52 Week Bible Reading Plan, Different Genre Every Day (link to pdf file)
  • Legacy Reading Plan (No set daily readings, but, set monthly readings) (link to pdf file)
  • Back to the Bible's Chronological Plan (lists readings month by month, the link to January)

II. Christian Nonfiction. Don't be afraid to give it a try. Read some theology. You choose the number of books to aim for. A beginner might not feel comfortable committing to more than one book. And that's fine. I want to challenge you to start somewhere. This challenge is for everyone. Not just for people who want to commit to reading twenty!  

Here are some ideas to get you started:

  • Books about God (his attributes, his character, his names, the trinity)
  • Books about the birth, life, death, resurrection of Jesus Christ; His person, his work. 
  • Books about the Bible (how to read the Bible, how to study the Bible, how it's translated, the history of translation, why it's reliable and trustworthy, why it's inerrant and infallible, etc.)
  • Commentaries on specific books of the Bible (Ezekiel, Gospel of John, Romans, etc.)
  • Books about Bible characters (Moses, Abraham, David, Elijah, Ruth, Mary, Peter, Paul, etc.)
  • Books about prayer and/or fasting
  • Books about worship, praise and thanksgiving, music in church, etc.
  • Books about church life, church growth, church leadership, church discipline, etc.
  • books about missions (evangelism, outreach, discipleship,  service, local and global)
  • sermon collections (book, ebook, websites of teaching ministries, etc.)
  • biographies/autobiographies of theologians, preachers, missionaries, other Christians 
  • books about pain, suffering, grief, and tough questions
  • books about apologetics 
  • books about other religions, specifically books about other religions written from a Christian point of view
  • topical books offering a Christian perspective on any subject (marriage, family life, parenting, finances (getting out of debt), dieting, starting a business, being single, fostering or adopting children, war, terrorism, politics, etc.
  • books about end times 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

9 comments:

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

I didn't go far this year reading the bible so I want to try again next year (:

Song said...

And I've signed up for this one too! I've chosen the Legacy Reading Plan since it gives a structure but not a constricting one that can send me into a panic and early burn out..at least I hope not! I've also signed up for the non-fiction here: https://risathenextchapter.blogspot.in/2016/12/i-am-reading-entire-bible-and-some.html :)

Rachel said...

I have my own read the Bible challenge going on this year, though it appears I'll be doing it alone...no worries, it's a big project. I thought I'd tag-team over here so I can follow your readers as well. :)

Nancy said...

I'm excited to read the Bible again (I only read the entire Old Testament in my younger years). And to read it with the help of the 2017 Operation Deepen Faith is equally exciting. Here's my "official" entry post: https://aidetoseshat.wordpress.com/2016/12/14/reading-the-bible-in-2017/

Thank you. :)

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

My post: http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-deepen-faith-2017.html

Keshia aka thisgirlwrites said...

Looking forward to this challenge, and I hope to blog about my reading

I will probably tweet @thisgirlmatters

however the blog where I will be tracking all my 2017 challenges is: https://thisgirlwritesuk.wordpress.com/2016/12/30/2017-operation-deepen-faith/

I should not that this is not a christian blog, just in case :)

Happy New Year

Linda said...

I started to read the Bible through and this group will give me added incentive if I flag.

Unknown said...

I am challenging myself to read the Bible through in one year. Best of luck everyone!
https://catonthebookshelf.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/reading-challenges-for-2017/

Bellezza said...

I'm sure you know how much I love this challenge; it's the one I manage to complete more than any other as reading the Bible is so important to me. I finished it in 2016, and I just bought a new translation for 2017: the HCS Bible. (Not like I need another translation; in fact, I'm already missing my familiar memorized scriptures in the KJV.) However, I plan to follow the Legacy outline you've mentioned here. Thanks for hosting, Becky! Off to post this under my Challenges for 2017 page. xo