Friday, January 28, 2022

1. Legacy Standard Bible


Legacy Standard Bible (Handy Size Edition) Steadfast Bibles (Publisher) 2021. 1665 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 

The Legacy Standard Bible (LSB) was released last year. I read some in the New Testament when it was first released. But I was holding out for the whole Bible--both testaments. I got my copy in December 2021, and I began it a few days after Christmas. (December 28, 2021 was my start date.)

I read this one as part of the Daily Offices for the Book of Common Prayer. To clarify, I do the Daily Offices my own way. Traditionally, there are two lessons--one from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament--at each lesson. Each "lesson" consisting of one chapter. That is not how I do it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the traditional method. By almost all standards, covering FOUR chapters a day plus the psalms readings, would be significant, substantive, meaty. But I'm a glutton. I am. I "overeat" if you will on the Scriptures. Taking literally, the "taste and see" and "delight yourself" of scripture, I read multiple chapters per lesson. And I add in (most days) a midday office. (Though I'm considering making that one optional.)

This Bible is "handy" indeed. It is very lightweight. It is not at all bulky. The print is also a little too small for my liking. I found that I could read without strain earlier in the morning. Sometimes at night--by the time my eyes were tired--the print was just frustrating. 

Interior preview of the LSB Handy Bible
Interior of the now out of stock Handy Size Edition

I do LOVE the quality of this one. The paper was great. The line-matching worked for me. Together there was very little ghosting. It is BLACK LETTER. It is single column. I do think that having all those blank pages to take notes will make some readers very happy indeed! 

Psalm 23

Yahweh is my shepherd,
I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.

He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You have anointed my head with oil;
My cup overflows.

Surely goodness and lovingkindness will pursue me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of Yahweh forever.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: