Thursday, January 6, 2022

2. God Is My Hiding Place


God Is My Hiding Place: 40 Devotions for Refuge and Strength. Corrie ten Boom. 2021. [October] 174 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: In Germany I once met a woman who told me that 42 years prior, she had comitted a terrible sin and since then she had prayed every day for forgiveness.

God Is My Hiding Place is a devotional with collected pieces of Corrie ten Boom's writings. Corrie ten Boom, I believe, wrote quite a few books--including several devotional books. This book gathers together forty entries to serve as a 'new' devotional. I do not have any concern about 'recycled' pieces because there will always be a new audience. 

The devotional book might be a good starting place for those who are unfamiliar with her story, her life, her work. For those that are already familiar with her, this one will be a good fit as well. 

I am not the biggest fan of devotionals in general. I'm not. I always want a bit more SUBSTANCE than fluffy stories. But I'm making a bit of an exception with this one. Her stories are anything but fluffy. The entries are testimonies that point readers to God. 

There's a verse in Psalms that says LET THE REDEEMED OF THE LORD SAY SO. (Psalm 107:2). This book contains vignettes of just that. 

This is not theology. It isn't. It is devotional--one woman testifying in forty different entries--about how God has answered prayers, delivered her, provided for her, etc. 

I would say the overall theme of the book is that GOD HEARS (listens) to our prayers (cries) and that he is always faithful, good, and gracious. God in his grace provides answers to all prayers. (True, the answers are always in his own way, in his own timing, but God in his wisdom knows what is best and good for us.)

The devotional book also reveals her zeal for the Lord. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: