Friday, November 18, 2022

18. Darby Translation of the Bible


Darby Bible. God. 1890. 2304 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

This was my first time reading the Darby translation. I knew that it was from the nineteenth century and still used thees and thous. I knew it was more 'old-fashioned' and 'traditional.' As opposed to 'modern' and 'contemporary' like say the Message. I've been curious about this translation for years now.

From Bible Gateway: 
The Darby Bible was first published in 1890 by John Nelson Darby, an Anglo-Irish Bible teacher associated with the early years of the Plymouth Brethren. Darby also published translations of the Bible in French and German.

J. N. Darby's purpose was, as he states in the preface to his English New Testament, to make a modern translation for the unlearned who have neither access to manuscript texts nor training and knowledge of ancient languages of the Scriptures. Darby's translation work was not intended to be read aloud. His work was for study and private use. In his own oral ministry he generally used the English KJV Bible.

From the GoodReads book description:

John Nelson Darby (1800-1882) went in 1853 to Germany, where he established congregations in Dusseldorf, in Elberfeld, and in other towns. He was dissatisfied with the existing Bible versions in French and German, and so he collaborated with German and French followers in the creation of new versions in those languages. With some German associates he produced the "Elberfelder Bible," and with French-speaking followers he produced the "Pau Bible." 

Darby did not feel such a need for a new translation in English, because he considered the King James Version to be adequate for most purposes, and he encouraged his followers to continue to use it. But, he decided to produce a highly literal English version of the New Testament for study purposes. This New Testament was completed in 1867. The version is exceedingly literal, based upon modern critical editions of the Greek text. After Darby's death in 1882, certain of his followers in England produced an English version of the Old Testament based upon Darby's French and German translations. In 1890 this was published as the Old Testament portion of The Holy Scriptures. A New Translation from the Original Languages by J. N. Darby (G. Morrish, 1890). The complete Darby Bible is still reprinted and used now a days.


Psalm 23:1-6 

Jehovah is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside still waters.

He restoreth my soul; he leadeth me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies; thou hast anointed my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely, goodness and loving-kindness shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of Jehovah for the length of the days.


Psalm 100:1-5

Shout aloud unto Jehovah, all the earth!

Serve Jehovah with joy: come before his presence with exultation.

Know that Jehovah is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; [we are] his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter into his gates with thanksgiving [and] into his courts with praise; give thanks unto him, bless his name:

For Jehovah is good; his loving-kindness [endureth] for ever; and his faithfulness from generation to generation.

John 14:1-6

Let not your heart be troubled; ye believe on God, believe also on me.

In my Father's house there are many abodes; were it not so, I had told you: for I go to prepare you a place;

and if I go and shall prepare you a place, I am coming again and shall receive you to myself, that where I am ye also may be.

And ye know where I go, and ye know the way.

Thomas says to him, Lord, we know not where thou goest, and how can we know the way?

Jesus says to him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father unless by me.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: