Wednesday, January 31, 2024

January Reflections


Will I always post reflections for the month? Doubtful. Highly doubtful. 

Current Bibles and Projects (Honest Thoughts and Reflections)

I am VERY conflicted about my plan using the ESV with Apocrypha. It's not necessarily the fault of the Bible I am using. It isn't helping. It isn't hurting. I am using the Daily Office Daily Lectionary plan. It has two Old Testament readings per day. Two New Testament readings per day. The plan has a tendency to break up chapters over several days. I am not the biggest fan of this. Or, perhaps I should say that I am not used to that. It is not "regular" for me. It is taking some adjustment. On the one hand, IF I was in the habit of genuinely meditating on a small chunk of Scripture--truly soaking it in, absorbing it in, focusing on gaining all the good I can, paying attention to meaning and interpretation, sitting with the verse(s) long enough to get fed...then I could see how this would be beneficial. One could easily find *some* verse(s) within one of the four readings to take further, to look deeper. On the other hand, IF I don't take those next steps, initiate a more contemplative approach, the reading plan is more like eating a two pack of Saltine crackers while waiting for the main course. (Think old school restaurant). I'm not sure if I want to keep up with this plan in February, or call it quits. IF I do call it quits, I could read this Bible--the ESV Bible with Apocrypha using another plan. I wouldn't be giving up on this Bible or this translation. 

I am LOVING the NASB 1973 (Single Column) Bible. I bought this one used. It was already broken in and well loved. It just feels like HOME to me. I will definitely be continuing this one into February. I wouldn't be surprised if I finished it by the end of February or possibly early March. 

NKJV Wide Margin. I am so close to finishing this one!!! I am absolutely loving this one. IT is part of the Sovereign collection by Thomas Nelson. Highly recommended.

KJV. I am reading the One Year Bible for Women in the KJV. I am through January 8??? I bought it on January 27th at a thrift shop for a little over $3. Right now I am doing both this AND the ESV Daily Office lectionary. I am considering, however, just using this KJV One Year Bible. I could do one "daily" reading for Morning Office. And I could do a second "daily" reading for Evening Office. When I finish this one,  I could start something else. Regardless, I have every intention of keeping up with this one.
I am also using a text-only edition of the King James Bible. I started off the year with a Rainbow Study Bible (another thrift store find) but am finding the rainbow colors just too distracting for my eyes. I have switched to the KJV Creedal Bible which is large(r) print. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: