Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Tea-ology #1 (KJV)


  • A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps. Proverbs 16:9
  • Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. Jeremiah 10:23
  • But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God. Psalms 40:17
I had big plans for the start of the year. Everything was put on pause when I got sick on January 1. It was weeks before I felt well enough to even begin thinking about getting around to those plans. What I once was so confident about, I was now feeling a bit overwhelmed. Not discouraged. Not "ultimately" frustrated. Just overwhelmed. 

[For the record, my "big plans" or "grand goals" was to kick off my year of reading and rereading and rereading and rereading and rereading the King James Bible. I wanted to LIVE in this translation. I wanted to celebrate it. Show my gushy-love and affection.]

I got a slower start to reading the King James Bible than I wanted. I went from spending HOURS a day reading the Bible to spending hours a day napping. When I was awake and sitting up, I wasn't always able to read in a way to which I'd grown accustomed. But closeness to God is not determined by closeness to his Word.

My "baby steps" included finding a King James audio bible on YouTube. I listened to Psalms. The familiarity of the Psalms brought much peace. 

I did eventually start in a physical Bible. Though not the one I necessarily "wanted." It was a 'spare' thrifted Bible of the Rainbow Study Bible sort. I've put that one aside now that I'm feeling better. I'm currently reading the KJV Creedal Bible, published by Holman. It is larger print. 

But what is really exciting me at the moment is finding a One Year Bible for Women in the King James Bible for $3. I've never used a One Year Bible before. I am reading one "day" in the morning and another "day" in the evening. At least until I catch up in time. Maybe I will keep it up even after I catch up in time. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: