Friday, September 13, 2024

43. Knowing God's Truth

Knowing God's Truth: An Introduction to Systematic Theology. Jon Nielson. 2023. 320 pages. [Source: Review copy] [5 stars]

First sentence from the introduction: This book is designed to help you think more deeply about the most important topic--the most important person--in the entire universe: God himself. 

First sentence from chapter one: What comes to mind when you hear the word theology? 

Knowing God's Truth is an introduction to systematic theology. Unfamiliar with theology? with systematic theology? No worries, this book was written for you. This book breaks everything down into basic building blocks so that anyone can understand the foundations of the christian faith. For those more familiar with theology and/or systematic theology, this one is a good refresher course. I'm guessing that even those with many years of study behind them have strengths and weaknesses. 

One thing that makes this one stand out is that it accessible, organized, precise, concise, logical. Each chapter is broken down into smaller chunks. Each chapter also BUILDS IN prayer time. I've never seen a book quite like this one that encourages readers to pray as they are reading/studying. It also includes summaries reviews at the end of each chapter. It is a thing of beauty in how simple yet uncompromising it is. 

There are twelve chapters. 

What is Theology?
The Doctrine of Scripture
The Doctrine of God
The Doctrine of Man
The Doctrine of Sin
The Doctrine of Jesus Christ
The Doctrine of Salvation
The Doctrine of Heaven and Hell
The Doctrine of the Church
The Doctrine of Angels and Demons
The Doctrine of Last Things
The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit

My only small complaint--and it is by no means a deal breaker--is why save the Holy Spirit for last???? Why not place the Doctrine of the Holy Spirit either before or after Salvation? I do think one needs to study the Holy Spirit before one studies the doctrine of the Church. 

I would recommend this one to essentially anyone and everyone. I think it would be good for individual use. But I also think it would be excellent for group(s). I could see it coming in handy for private Christian schools as curriculum. I could see it being a great fit for Christian homeschoolers. I could see it being good for Sunday school classes or bible studies. I think it would work for small Christian book clubs. (Though I don't know how many small Christian book clubs read nonfiction.)  


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thank you for this review! I went to Amazon and ordered the book and workbook! I can't wait to get started!