Sunday, January 8, 2012

Professor Horner Update #1 (January 1-January 7)


For the month of January, I have committed to trying Professor Horner's Bible Reading System. I first learned about this system on my friend's blog, A Well-Watered Garden.

I thought I would share my experiences with you as I try this new-to-me system.

I am using the King James Version of the Bible. I'm not sure I'll stick with this translation throughout the year--though he does recommend picking just one Bible to read. But for January, this is what I'm using.

The system has you reading in ten different books of the Bible at a time.

1) The Gospels
2) Books of Moses
3) Longer Epistles (Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Hebrews)
4) Shorter Epistles & Revelation (1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1, 2, 3 John, Jude, Revelation)
5) Books of Wisdom minus Psalms and Proverbs
6) Psalms
7) Proverbs
8) Books of History (Joshua-Esther)
9) Major and Minor Prophets (Isaiah-Malachi)
10) Acts

He has you reading one chapter from each of the ten books--for a total of 10 chapters per day.

I knew if I was going to stick with this system, I'd have to make it my own. So here are the changes I've made...so far.

  • First. With the exception of Proverbs and Acts, I'm going to be reading more than one chapter per book.
  • I am definitely going to be reading five psalms a day. To read Psalms once a month, all you need to do is read five a day. Why make plans to read Proverbs twelve times a year and not Psalms?! After all, Psalms is much more to my liking!!!! 
  • At least with the shorter epistles (those with six or so chapters), I am going to read the whole book at once. For longer epistles (Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Hebrews) I will take a few days more. 
  • I am going to try to read several chapters at least in the gospel reading. I'm not sure if it will be possible to read one gospel per week, but I'm going to try my best to read all four gospels each month. 
  • The reading I am going to struggle the very most with is List 5. Because, to be honest, I don't 'like' any of these books. And I really, really, really don't like Song of Songs. The thought of having to read it multiple times in a year doesn't thrill me. So I don't want to go too quickly through these books--or else I'll be reading these books too much. 

This week, I completed:

  • Joshua in KJV
  • Matthew in KJV
  • Romans in KJV
  • 1 Thessalonians in KJV
  • 2 Thessalonians in KJV
  • 1 Timothy in KJV
  • 2 Timothy in KJV
  • Titus in KJV
  • Philemon in KJV
  • James in KJV

This week, I read

  • Genesis 1-25
  • 1 Corinthians 1-8
  • Job 1-21
  • Psalms 1-35
  • Proverbs 1-7
  • Isaiah 1-35
  • Acts 1-7

Key Verses this week:

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. (Isaiah 1:18)

Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste. (Isaiah 28:16)

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Matthew 1:21)


For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. (1 Timothy 2:5-6)



Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began, But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel: (2 Timothy 1:9-10)

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)


Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it. (1 Thessalonians 5:24)

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Romans 5:8-12) 


Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings, As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious, Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ. Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded. Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner, And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy. (1 Peter 2:1-10) 
Songs on my mind this week:

Nothin' by Chris Rice



And this little medley by Carman



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Annette said...

I just realized I forgot to mention I am reading right now from the Common English Bible for my Bible reading. But, I won't stay with that translation I'll read from others. For now I'll try Prof. Horner's Bible Reading, but don't know if that will be my choice all this year. I like the freedom of reading in what order of books I want. Some of those books from the OT I don't want to read more than 1 time and then I speed read them. I like the pictures in the post, the snow in the first one seems so quiet and still, solitude.

Soozie4Him said...

Becky, thanks for the update on how you're doing, and how you're changing the plan to suit you. I'm going more slowly than the plan dictates (often taking 2 days to get through the 10 chapters), but I'm taking the time to write a sentence or two response to teach chapter I read. Thanks for the update and I look forward to the next one!

Susan
moot96 AT aol DOT com