Sunday, October 25, 2015

The "Happy Christian" Playlist

Last week, I read David Murray's The Happy Christian. It is a great book, and, my review of it will be tomorrow. I thought that today, however, I'd share a playlist I was inspired to create while reading it!

"The Happy Song" by Delirious
An obvious choice, perhaps, but a genuine one as well. This song is just contagiously, outrageously HAPPY.

"Sing, Sing, Sing" by Chris Tomlin
Chris Tomlin is probably an obvious choice as well. But. If you read the psalms at all--and I hope you do!--then you can't ignore the fact that there are HUNDREDS of verses about singing to God, singing praises, singing loudly and without abandon. So it makes sense to me that Happy Christians need to be reminded to SING, SING, SING.

"Build Your Kingdom Here" by Rend Collective
I dare you to listen to this one without smiling. Rend Collective is a new-to-me discovery. And this one is JOYOUS. I also chose it because I thought it fit well with the book.

"Thank God for Something" by Hawk Nelson
Sadly, I think we all need reminders to THANK GOD. Thankfulness--gratitude--doesn't come easily for some--for most. Though some people may be more Pollyanna-like in nature. Still, all of us could be more thankful than we are. And this song definitely goes well with the book!!!

"Lay Me Down" by Chris Tomlin
Yes, another Chris Tomlin. I'm including this one because I think when you can sing this song and mean it through and through that you've discovered "the secret" of a happy, Christian life.

"10,000 Reasons" by Matt Redman
The simple truth is I love this song. I love every line, every verse. I join in every time. This is a song I could listen to a million times a month and never tire of it. Because I do think we need to SING the gospel to ourselves daily.

"Blessed Be Your Name" by Matt Redman
My mom and I may never completely agree which song is better--10,000 Reasons or Blessed Be Your Name--but in the end, it doesn't matter. Blessed Be Your Name is one I've been singing longer than 10,000 Reasons perhaps. And maybe that's just enough to keep me loving it a tiny bit more! I love this song, and, I think that if ever a song deserves to be on the Happy Christian playlist, this one does. I think it embodies the whole attitude of a HAPPY CHRISTIAN. Blessed be your name on the road marked with suffering, though there's pain in the offering. Blessed be your name. You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say LORD, BLESSED BE YOUR NAME. 

"I'm Going Free" by Vertical Church Band
This is a song Mom and I agree 100% on. We love, love, LOVE breaking out in song with this one! And Vertical Church Band is a new-to-me discovery this year. I can hardly imagine now not knowing their songs! This one goes well with the "Happy Salvation" chapter.

"Rejoice in the Lord" from Glory Revealed 2, Trevor Morgan and Mark Hall
I love these verses in Philippians. I do. I love, love, love them. So a scripture-song based on my favorite verses, it's going to be something I want to listen to! And in this case, David Murray spends some time unpacking these verses in his book. So I thought it was a good fit for the playlist!

"Words" by Hawk Nelson
I think this one is a great fit for the list because David Murray writes of the importance of positive thinking, positive speaking (affirmations), and having a positive attitude. That and it's a great, contagious song.

"Finally Home" by Jeremy Camp
I've listened to this one dozens and dozens of times. It's a JOYOUS song, and, an important one. That we're not home yet, that we're pilgrims on a homeward journey. It reminds me of two chapters in Murray's book as well. Honestly, I was torn between "Finally Home" and "Where I Belong" by Building 429. I adore both songs.

"Thrive" by Casting Crowns
God wants us to be HAPPY. Joy unspeakable, faith unsinkable, love unstoppable, anything is possible.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well said. God wants us all to be happy, joyful, blessed, healthy, wealthy and more based on our words and music is a powerful way to inspire us. If you would like to be even more inspired by faith filled words that empower, please check out our Christian Affirmation download which are blessing many right now.

http://store.payloadz.com/go/?id=1914674

Carol said...

You've listed ome favourites of mine here & also given me a few to check out. Thanks.