Saturday, November 12, 2016

Book Review: Genesis 1-15

Thru the Bible: Genesis 1-15. J. Vernon McGee. 1975. 204 pages. [Source: Bought]

I have enjoyed reading a handful of J. Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible commentaries. Genesis is broken down into three volumes. The first volume covers chapters 1-15. I have very, very mixed feelings on this one. I agree with McGee some of the time, but, definitely not all the time. There were statements that I disagree with passionately in this one.

If you're not familiar with his commentary series, I'll take a few minutes to explain his style. McGee is a very casual and conversational, very tell-it-like-it-is, very simple. He introduces the book of the Bible. He then goes through it practically verse by verse, chapter by chapter. The translation reprinted in the commentary, is, I believe, the King James Version. It is reprinted. Unlike some commentaries that provide Scripture references and outlines, this one does give you the Scripture text in the text itself. You don't have to have an open Bible in hand. (Which is very nice!) He likes to try to make connections between then and now, to point out ways that the text is relevant to you and me.

This first volume introduces us to God, as Creator, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah and his family, Abraham and his family.

I tell students that there are two ways of studying the Bible; one is with the telescope and the other way is with the microscope. At first, you need to get the telescopic view. After that, study it with a microscope.
I reject evolution because it rejects God and it rejects revelation. It denies the fall of man and the fact of sin, and it opposes the virgin birth of Christ. Therefore, I reject it with all my being. I do not believe that it is the answer to the origin of this universe.
I do not even have to lift my little finger in order to be saved--Jesus did it all.
Temptation will either develop you or destroy you.
Character must be developed, and it can only be developed in the presence of temptation.
Doubt leads to disobedience--always.
Religion is something that you rub on the outside, but God does not begin with religion. May I make a distinction here: Christianity is not a religion; Christianity is Christ.
We are not born children of God. We have to be born again to be children of God.
Pride is the sin of the mind.
The Word of God is a marvelous Word if you just let it speak to you.
But, my friend, God never saves by any other means except grace. He has never had any other method of saving, and if you ever get saved, it will be because you believe God, you accept Christ as your Savior, and you believe that God has provided salvation for you.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: