Friday, September 1, 2017

5 Months. 5 Goals. Update The First

5 Months. 5 Goals. August 2017-December 2017

1. Write a weekly week-in-review post at Becky's Book Reviews sharing links to everything I've reviewed at my blogs. REASON: So monthly wrap-up posts are not scary-intimidating.

Success. These posts can be found under the tag "2017 week in review".

2. Read five classics and review them from a Christian perspective. Reason: I enjoy reading classics. I am a Christian. And so often I delegate Operation Actually Read Bible to just "Christian" fiction. Classics can be of benefit to believers even if they're not Christian. We live in a real world that is messy.

1984. George Orwell. 1949. 268 pages. [Source: Bought]
Great Expectations. Charles Dickens. 1860. 640 pages. [Source: Library]

2 out of 5 isn't a bad start. I'm currently reading Les Miserables and Adam Bede. So I could potentially review these at Operation Actually Read Bible.

3. Read 40-50 books from my GoodRead's ChristianTBR list. Reason: I need to read my own books. 

I reviewed 5 books in August from my Christian TBR list. Two of the books I read were interlibrary loans. Four of the books I read were from the library. 

4. Improve my feedback ratio on Netgalley. I haven't decided if the problem is a) I choose other books to read and review instead of these e-galleys, b) I do review them but am horrible at going and submitting feedback, c) I request books faster than I can read them, d) all of the above. To make this a measurable goal: let's say I'd like to have my "feedback sent" number be 200+ by December 2017. Reason: So I don't feel guilty.

This will be the hardest goal to achieve. I actually added twenty books to my Netgalley shelf in August. I sent feedback in for two in August. 

5. Restart a mother-daughter book club project with my mom. It will be up to her if we read one book per month. Or if we just read two or three books over the next five months. Reason: MOM IS AWESOME.

I asked Mom to read A Light Princess by George MacDonald and Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix. I read the Haddix, but, I have not reread A Light Princess. There has been little actual discussion of a book club nature. But maybe in September?

Alternate: Read 42 books of my charity books--books I've bought from Ruth's Room Too. This would be about 10% of my TBR. I do keep track of what comes home with me. REASON: I have no self-control around bargain books. If I actually read them, then I can say: BUT I READ THEM, they just don't sit around.

Skitterbrain. Irene Bennett Brown. 1978. 112 pages. [Source: Bought]

Well, one is better than zero. But I could be doing better here!!!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: