Friday, September 29, 2017

First impressions of the REB

Holy Bible: Revised English Bible. 1989/1996. Cambridge. 1264 pages. [Source: Bought]

The Revised English Bible is an update to the New English Bible (1970). While I had read here and there in the New English Bible in previous years, it wasn't until the start of this year--2017--that I read it cover to cover. I thought it would be great fun to try to finish the Revised English Bible this year as well.

One thing I've discovered is that I enjoy reading British Bible translations.

I would really love to find the New Testament on audio to physically borrow--not buy. It's narrated by Derek Jacobi. I'm debating if it's worth my trouble doing an interlibrary loan request when only four libraries in the United States own it.

For those of you who don't know, I read my Bible while drinking tea--mainly. It is a LOVELY combination.

So far I've read Genesis and Exodus from the Old Testament, in addition to a couple dozen psalms. In the New Testament, I've read Mark and Luke as well as a few letters: Romans, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, 1 and 2 Peter.

I am pickiest when it comes to Romans. I wasn't absolutely thrilled with the translation of Romans 3 or 8. I don't like "expiating" in Romans 3. And I'm not sure what's up with the "co-operating" of Romans 8. But I am not so picky as to let it stop me from continuing on with the project.
For all alike have sinned, and are deprived of the divine glory; and all are justified by God’s free grace alone, through his act of liberation in the person of Christ Jesus. For God designed him to be the means of expiating sin by his death, effective through faith. God meant by this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had overlooked the sins of the past—to demonstrate his justice now in the present, showing that he is himself just and also justifies anyone who puts his faith in Jesus. Romans 3:23-26
In the same way the Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness. We do not even know how we ought to pray, but through our inarticulate groans the Spirit himself is pleading for us, and God who searches our inmost being knows what the Spirit means, because he pleads for God’s people as God himself wills; and in everything, as we know, he co-operates for good with those who love God and are called according to his purpose. For those whom God knew before every they were, he also ordained to share the likeness of his Son, so that he might be the eldest among a large family of brothers; and those whom he foreordained, he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. Romans 8:26-30
Here is a sampling of quotes from the book of Psalms:
Psalm 5:11-12 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice, let them for ever shout for joy; shelter those who love your name, that they may exult in you. For you, LORD, will bless the righteous; you will surround them with favour as with a shield.
Psalm 12:6-8 The words of the LORD are unalloyed: silver refined in a crucible, gold purified seven times over. LORD, you are our protector and will for ever guard us from such people. The wicked parade about, and what is of little worth wins general esteem.
Psalm 19:7-12 The law of the LORD is perfect and revives the soul. The LORD’s instruction never fails; it makes the simple wise. The precepts of the LORD are right and give joy to the heart. The commandment of the LORD is pure and gives light to the eyes. The fear of the LORD is unsullied; it abides for ever. The LORD’s judgements are true and righteous every one, more to be desired than gold, pure gold in plenty, sweeter than honey dripping from the comb. It is through them that your servant is warned; in obeying them is great reward. Who is aware of his unwitting sins? Cleanse me of any secret fault. 
Psalm 23:1-6 The LORD is my shepherd; I lack for nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me to water where I may rest; he revives my spirit; for his name’s sake he guides me in the right paths. Even were I to walk through a valley of deepest darkness I should fear no harm, for you are with me; your shepherd’s staff and crook afford me comfort. You spread a table for me in the presence of my enemies; you have richly anointed my head with oil, and my cup brims over. Goodness and love unfailing will follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD throughout the years to come. 
Psalm 27:13 Well I know that I shall see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

No comments: