Monday, October 29, 2018

Book Review: Where Did You Come From Baby Dear?

Where Did You Come From Baby Dear? Poem by George MacDonald. Illustrated by Jane Dyer. 2018. Random House. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]
Where did you come from, baby dear?
Out of the everywhere into the here.
Where did you get those eyes so blue?
Out of the sky as I came through.
Jane Dyer has newly illustrated and adapted George MacDonald's classic poem "Where Did You Come From, Baby Dear?" You may read the full poem here.

MacDonald was a British fantasy writer and a minister (1824-1905). His poem is "lightly spiritual" according to the publisher, Random House. I would agree with the assessment. God is mentioned a handful of times as are angels. It is not meant to be a theological work by any stretch of the imagination.

The book celebrates babies. It is cute, sweet, adorable, lovely, delightful, charming. I love the illustrations by Jane Dyer.

My favorite lines:
How did they all just come to be you?
God thought about me, and so I grew.
But how did you come to us, you dear?
God thought about you, and so I am here. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: