Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Bible Review: NASB (1971, First Edition)

New American Standard Bible Reference Edition. 1971. Lockman Foundation. 1730 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

I have read the NASB 1995 translation quite a few times in my life. This was my first time reading an earlier edition of the NASB. In fact, this is a first edition of the NASB that was published in 1971.

It was verse by verse and not paragraph.
It was black letter and not red letter.
It did have references and textual notes on the sides. The text was in the center.
The Old Testament and New Testaments were paged separately.
There was little to no bleed through. The pages were just the right thickness.
The size of the font was small. In a perfect, perfect world it would have had larger font. But it wasn't impossible to read.
It was a little large to read in bed, but just right for reading in a cozy chair with a cup of tea.
It does use thees and thous.

I enjoyed reading this one. I started reading it the first week of September. I finished it October 15, 2018.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you please tell what Proverbs 10:19 is in the NASB 1971 version? I would greatly appreciate it.

Becky said...

When there are many words; transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise.

Unknown said...

Becky, thank you for the reply. I have been searching to find the Bible version that reads "Where there is an abundance of words, transgression is unavoidable." (Proverbs 10:19) I had memorized it many years ago, and no longer have the Bible I was using at that time. I have not been able to locate that particular wording.