Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Book Review: God Cares When I'm Afraid

God Cares When I'm Afraid. Stormie Omartian. 2020 [ February] Harvest House. 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Every little boy and girl can be afraid about something at some time. Being afraid means you have fear. Having fear can be a good thing…or a bad thing.

God Cares When I’m Afraid is a new children’s book by Stormie Omartian. She first points out that not all fear is bad or wrong. There is a healthy, normal, good fear. But sometimes fear isn’t good. We can be afraid of things we shouldn’t be worried about, things that may not even be real. No matter what our fear is, she stresses that God cares and that God is present. God can see you through each and every time you are afraid. God hears the prayers of little children no matter how little. He can comfort you and help you not be so afraid.

The book addresses fear in general but also talks specifics and situations.

When you feel afraid that something bad might happen, tell God.


One day you may see something that makes you afraid. And that scary thing can stay in your mind so that you remember it over and over. If that ever happens to you, turn away and don’t look at anything that scares you. Ask God to help you stop thinking about the scary thing you saw. Lord, I saw something that scared me. Please take that memory out of my mind so I won’t think about it and be afraid anymore. Help me to think about things that make me happy. Help me think about things that make You happy too.


Loud sounds can frighten you—especially if they happen suddenly, and you don’t know what they are. Sometimes even when you do know what the sound is, it can still scare you. For example, some children are afraid of loud thunder. If loud thunder frightens you, see if you can go to another room where it is not so loud. Tell God about any noise that is scaring you. Lord, please help me to not be afraid when I hear thunder. Help me to remember that thunder is good because it brings rain and gives us water.


The Bible says God’s love for us is so strong that it takes away our fear. Did you know that singing a song to God can also take away your fear? That’s because it is one of the ways we show love to God and say, “Thank You, God, forloving me.” It makes God happy to hear you sing a song to say you love Him.


I think this is a practical book. While it doesn’t cover each and every scenario possible that a child may fear, it does deal in principles teaching truths about God that can be applied to other situations. Plus it encourages prayers and praise!


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: