Wednesday, August 11, 2021

44. Fighting Words


Fighting Words Devotional: 100 Days of Speaking Truth into the Darkness. Ellie Holcomb. 2021. [October] 248 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence (from the introduction): There are some stories that change your life. This is one of them for me.

In Fighting Words, Ellie Holcomb invites fellow sojourners to join her on a 100 day journey of "anchoring down in the promises of God." Each entry begins with sharing a Scripture. Sometimes the Scripture is a single verse (packed with treasure); sometimes the Scripture is a longer passage of Scripture (packed with treasure). After starting with Scripture, Holcomb shares her reflection on the passage. That reflection may include: a personal story, a lyric she's written, a lesson or reminder. Entries include a couple questions designed to probe readers to make a connection of their own with the Scripture in question. Entries conclude with a prayer. 

Day one's Scripture is Philippians 4:4-7. The probing questions include, "What circumstances in your life make it difficult to "rejoice always"?" and "Have you ever experienced a peace or nearness from God that was unexplainable to your friends and family? What was that like?" 

She chooses promises from the Old Testament and the New Testament. A good blend of both in my opinion.

Devotionals aren't usually anything I would choose to read on my own. I do try to review devotionals for the blog (now and then) so that I can share good ones when I find them. 

I do like that she shares the Scripture, the actual Scripture. As opposed to sharing just the Scripture reference. Readers may still choose to be a cheater pants and skim the Scripture, but one can't use the excuse "I was too busy to look it up" or "my Bible wasn't handy." It's right on the page, and you've got the opportunity to read it yourself. 

The verses shared are good ones. These are verses that I'm familiar with and that I already have a connection with (most of the time at least). 

Some entries give readers behind the scenes glimpses into her creative song writing process. Being a fan (for the most part) of her albums (I, of course, have my favorites), I liked seeing the stories behind some of my favorite songs. 

I do think the book does its best to point the way to Jesus and to keep pointing the way to Jesus. If it ever fails, I don't think it's because the intent changed. I think as readers we're just human and easily distracted and full of self. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: