Tuesday, September 6, 2022

33. Galatians: Gospel Rooted Living


Galatians: Gospel-Rooted Living. Todd Wilson (Preaching the Word series). 2013. 288 pages. [Source: Bought] 

First sentence: I WOULD LIKE TO TELL you a story. It’s about a young man who ruined his life.

I definitely found this commentary on Paul's letter to the Galatians to be helpful. Galatians isn't the easiest book to read and understood. Easy to relate to at times, yes, but easy to grasp (or grasp and apply) not always. In August and September, I (will) read Galatians thirty times. In August, the assignment (for the Facebook group) was Galatians 1-3. In September, the assignment is Galatians 4-6. Most nights I read one chapter in the commentary. I thought that was a good pace. Wilson tackles the book of Galatians in sections. Some chapters cover very, very, very short sections of the book. Other chapters cover longer portions. He blends original context (history) with application. He does offer contemporary examples of how the book is still relevant.

Quotes:

From Genesis to Revelation the Word of God is a treasure trove of grace. Golden coins of comfort, costly pearls of assurance, precious jewels of promise are all found in the pages of Scripture. In fact, everything that was written in the Bible was written for us, that “through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope” (Romans 15:4). Therefore, every time we make a mess of things, we must go back to grace by going back to the Word of God.

Deliverance from sin and from “the present evil age” comes only one way; indeed, grace itself comes only one way: through the death of the Lord Jesus Christ. “Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to deliver us from the present evil age” (vv. 3, 4). Thus Paul drives the Galatians back to this fundamental fact: Christ gave himself for our sins. For the death of Christ alone explains the presence of grace in our lives; and the death of Christ alone opens the wellspring of salvation: justification, sanctification, glorification.

“Amen” is something we say with our heart. When we say, “Amen,” we’re more than observers; we’ve moved from being spectators to being participants. “Amen” is our way of entering into this divine drama, taking up our part, assuming our role in the story of grace called the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Until we do that, we’re simply sitting in the audience, out of the action, away from the benefits of grace. “Amen” is, then, the only entry point into the world of grace. There’s no other way in. We can’t find grace in any other way because grace is only given to those who have faith; and the voice of faith is expressed in the word “Amen.”

I challenge us all to make the following not only a New Year’s resolution but a perpetual resolution that we are determined to keep: Every time I blow it, I’ll go back to grace. I won’t ignore it, play dumb, hide, or try to pass the buck to my spouse or my boss or my mom or my dad or my neighbor or my genes or my personality or my upbringing or my financial situation! Instead I’ll look my misstep in the face and then go back to grace—to the cross, that place where Jesus Christ has already taken the blame and condemnation and guilt upon himself.

Death isn’t the goal of the cross. Life is. God’s designs go beyond crucifixion: they move inexorably toward resurrection, new life, and new creation. By sending his Son into the world, God dealt a blow to the world, so much so that he blew open a hole large enough for the new creation. The cross thus clears the way for the new creation.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: