Monday, October 24, 2022

37. The First Songs of Christmas


The First Songs of Christmas. Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth. 2021. 160 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: One of the things I most love about being a child of God is that we have something to sing about. And one of the things I most love about the Bible is that it gives us songs to sing. Especially Christmas songs.

First sentence from day one: The Ancient of Days became a newborn. The One who created the first woman was born of a woman. 

What you see is what you get. A thirty-one devotional--intended for the month of December, obviously--that takes readers through the first songs of Christmas [as found in the Bible]. These first songs of Christmas are all found in the first two chapters of Luke. It wouldn't be such a bad idea to read either Luke 1 or Luke 2 in its entirety each day throughout the month. I always think it's great to look at the bigger context of how verses fit together. The devotions themselves look at the story just a few verses at a time--which is perfectly fine--but seeing the pieces all come together is wonderful too. 

So readers get a few Bible verses at the start, the devotional entry, a prayer, and further verses to read if they so desire. 

I liked this devotional. I bought it last year after Christmas. [I think it went on sale after Christmas]. I've been really wanting to read it and couldn't wait until December. After all, if I enjoyed it, I'd want to recommend it to YOU so you could read it in December. I definitely liked it. I'm not the biggest devotional reader, but, I do make exceptions for shorter devotionals. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: