Wednesday, December 7, 2022

19. Berean Standard Bible


Berean Study (changed to Standard) Bible. 2020. 1504 pages. [Source: Gift]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

I've read the BSB translation three times now. I just absolutely love, love, love this translation of the Bible. 

It is now available on Olive Tree app and YouVersion. 

The Berean Study Bible is a (relatively) new translation recently made available in print. It has been available online at Biblehub.com since 2016 (I believe.) It is important to realize, however, that it is not your traditional "study" Bible. It is a text-only Bible. The study element is what you put into it by being a Berean (Acts 17:11). You put in the work, the effort, the energy--and it will be a study Bible.

From their website, "The Berean Study Bible is a completely new translation based on the best available manuscripts and sources. Each word is connected back to the Greek or Hebrew text, resulting in a transparent and honest text that can be studied for its root meanings. The Berean Study Bible text is the result of a careful translation and styling process to maintain core meanings and produce an English text of high literary quality, effective for public reading, study, memorization, and evangelism. We believe that the Scriptures are meant to be studied and shared freely. Just as Paul encouraged the churches to pass on his letters, we are developing digital resources that will be free to access and free to share in websites, apps and software."

I absolutely love, love, love, LOVE, love this translation. It feels like coming home. It feels familiar, right.  Of course, many translations feel familiar. But that is often the result of months even years. It is hard to explain. 

BSB

The Lord is my shepherd; 
I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
for the sake of His name.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

This third time through, I read it with the Daily Offices of the Book of Common Prayer. 

About the print edition, the layout is great. Good size font. A good bit of space on each page. (Perhaps not enough for notetakers, but this isn't claiming to be a notetaker's edition). Nothing looks crowded or crammed. It is black letter!!! The only slight negative is that it is a bulky Bible. It is a bit heavy. But once you've got where you're going, once it's on your lap or on the table/desk in front of you, you forget all that. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: