Thursday, April 27, 2023

42. Do Not Be True To Yourself


Do Not Be True To Yourself: Countercultural Advice for the Rest of Your Life. Kevin DeYoung. 2023. [April] 61 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: In May 2022, I had the privilege of giving the commencement address at Geneva College (Beaver Falls, PA). I didn't want to recycle the usual commencement fare: "Follow your dreams! Be all that you can be! Go out and change the world!" Instead, I decided to give the opposite sort of advice, as you'll see when you read the first chapter of this book. 

This LITTLE (gem of a) book contains five addresses (sermons) by Kevin DeYoung written for young people--high school graduates and college graduates. There are five sermons in all: "Don't Be True To Yourself," "Choose For Yourselves," "The First Day of the Next Chapter of Your Life," "Two Ways to Live," "Horseshoes, Hand Grenades, and the Kingdom of God." While all five sermons have the same target audience in mind, each can stand alone. They share similar themes--how to best live life or how to best prepare for living life. DeYoung keeps God central in all of these addresses, and he's urging his listeners (readers) to do the same. Because the general topic is HOW TO LIVE FOR THE GLORY OF GOD, these sermons while geared towards the young are just as true, just as relevant, just as on point for listeners/readers of ALL ages (and stages).

I particularly LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the first chapter, "Do Not Be True To Yourself." I think it is a must read sermon. 

Another thing that I appreciated is the appendix, "Twelve "Old(ish) Books to Read When You Are Young." I can't say that I agree with his choices. I'd say about seven or eight are ambitious/intimidating undertakings. They are arranged in order of publication, his contemporary choices (R.C. Sproul, J.I. Packer, C.S. Lewis) are more realistic. This is an annotated bibliography so there are descriptions of each book. It did make me think about what books I'd suggest for "Twelve Old(ish) Books To Read When You Are Young." (I may make a post of that yet.)



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: