Wednesday, June 7, 2023

50. Be Heroic


Be Heroic (Minor Prophets): Demonstrating Bravery by Your Walk. Warren Wiersbe. 1997. 208 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: “Thank God He gives us difficult things to do!” said Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest. The first time I read that statement, I shook my head in disagreement, but I was young and inexperienced then, and it seemed smarter to do the easy things that made me look successful.

This is the third commentary series highlighting the minor prophets of the Old Testament. This one focuses on Ezra, Haggai, and Zechariah. These are all postexhilic in nature. The Babylonian Captivity is ending and Jews are beginning to return to resettle, rebuild, re-establish. 

Wiersbe goes through these three books, chapter by chapter. He also shares some conclusions tying together these books of the Bible. 

This is one of the rare times I read the book cover to cover but my mind was on vacation. I don't know where my brain was when I was turning pages over the course of a week. It wasn't like I retained the information but took too long to review (which happens sometimes). I do not blame Wiersbe for my empty mindedness. (This also happened with Beauty by Robin McKinley that I was reading over the same week.) 

I would recommend this one to those that like his "Be" series commentaries. I have read a handful of his commentaries and enjoyed them. Some I've learned quite a bit from. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: