Sunday, March 10, 2024

22. When the Day Comes


When the Day Comes. (Timeless #1) Gabrielle Meyer. 2022. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift. But at the age of nineteen, I had yet to see how this life I was living--or rather the lives I was living--could be anything other than a burden.

Premise/plot: When the Day Comes is a "timeslip" novel I believe. The premise is that there are a select number of human beings gifted/blessed by God with an unusual ability. They live two lives. When they fall asleep in one life, they wake up in the other. That's the keeping it simple summary. On her twenty-first birthday, the individual--in this case, Libby--must choose between her two lives and commit to living in one time period. Libby lives in Colonial Williamsburg in 1774--so essentially the country is on the verge of the war--and New York in 1914--again, Libby is living on the verge of war, though she probably doesn't know that bit. Her mother is also a "time traveler" (her lives were Colonial America and the 1990s). 

Libby is 100000000% certain that she knows her choice already. She is going to stay with her widowed mother and siblings in Colonial America, and, above all she is going to stay with her much beloved sweetheart, Henry. She hates almost every moment of her "modern" life in 1914. She doesn't hate her father, she might miss him a little bit. But she has no bond or connection with anyone else. Everything is a drudge.

But God may have different plans for her life. Will He work all things out for good?

My thoughts: I don't hate the premise. I don't. I actually think it has a LOT of potential. I do. I think it could be done really well. There could be great characterization, immersion into different time periods, and genuine tension and conflict. Like what if she *equally* enjoyed/loved both lives. What if she actually cared about both families. What if she actually lived life to the fullest in both lives. What if she authentically belonged to both timelines. But as it is, the characterization just isn't there. The characters lack fleshing out. The relationships feel flat, for the most part. The book does not read historical for either time period because the main character doesn't really 'belong' anywhere. She knows too much about Colonial America [and American history up through 1914 at least]. And through conversations with her mother, she has hints of even more. At one point her mother gives her a brief overview of the twentieth century. 

I think the biggest problem for me was the NON love triangle. We have one of the weakest love triangles ever. Which is fine, completely fine. Many people hate love triangles. But when you've got the main character in relationships in both timelines, but she loves one madly and despises the other...then it is just wearisome. The modern timeline depicts S.A. 

I take back what I said about the biggest problem. The solution tie-a-bow-on-it-ending was 1000000% convenient and felt cheater-pants. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: