Sunday, March 31, 2024

Thoughts on My Mini/Many Horner Bible Reading Plan


I have adjusted, readjusted, re-readjusted, many, many times. This time around I decided to go with FIVE bookmarks instead of ten. (This time being the key word). I have long since learned that I am so fickle with this system that it is best to just handwrite on slips of paper my "bookmarks." Each "reset" involves a LOT of experimenting. I have yet to find the perfect-perfect adjustment.

This time I kept the Tanakh order of the Old Testament in mind.

My first four bookmarks were:

The Torah (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy)
Nevi'im Former Prophets (Joshua, Judges, 1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings)
Nevi'im Latter Prophets (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi)
Ketuvim "The Writings" (Psalms, Proverbs, Job, Song of Songs, Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, Esther, Daniel, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles)

My fifth bookmark was the New Testament.

Now usually in my adaptations and adjustments I stick with ten bookmarks or perhaps eight or nine. 

But this was my "mini" system. It was also my "many" system.

For whatever reason--for better or worse--I did not want to read one chapter per bookmark. I did not even want to read two chapters per bookmark. I set out--especially in the beginning--to read five chapters per bookmark. I was reading MORE in fewer places. I didn't stick with this five per bookmark rule. But I did try to keep the twenty to twenty-five chapters per day "guideline." (Think Pirates of the Caribbean). 

I am more than halfway through the Bible with this system. I have finished three of the five bookmarks. I have the "Writings" bookmark and the New Testament going strong still.

I don't know that I'd repeat these bookmarks exactly. Probably this revision was better. I did like reading twenty-five-ish chapters per day. I liked reading more in fewer places. So that was something that I definitely liked. And I liked having less bookmarks overall. Five may have been too few, but ten may be too much. Next time I might combine the Former and Latter Prophets together. I might add a bookmark to the New Testament section. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: