Thursday, May 9, 2024

8. NASB (1977) Ryrie Study Bible


NASB 1977 Ryrie Study Bible. 1978. Charles C. Ryrie, editor. God (author). 2059 pages. Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Since first reading the NASB 1977 translation in 2019, I have fallen head over heels in love with this translation. I've read it five or six times at least. I think I read it three times last year. I am already planning on reading it again this year. So without a doubt the translation is one I absolutely love and adore and would definitely recommend. 

This was my first time to read a Ryrie Study Bible. The Ryrie Study Bible is available in various translations. This one is double column, verse by verse, red letter. Study notes are on the bottom of the page. There are book introductions. This one does feature outlines in the book introductions and the text of the Bible itself--along the lines of paragraph headings that you might find in other translations. (Though to be clear, this one is verse by verse.) 

I read most of the notes. That isn't always the case. (I typically read text-only Bibles). Did I agree with all the notes absolutely, positively? No. Did I find all the notes relevant and helpful? Probably not. But they also weren't super overwhelming and intimidating. It was a good balance of text and notes. Some study bibles have more study notes than scripture per page. That--to me--is intimidating and confusing. The notes are definitely dispensational. 

I started this Bible on April 6, 2024. I finished on May 9, 2024. I used a reading plan of my own creation--the M'Cheyne-Horner bookmark plan. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: