Thursday, May 9, 2024

M'Cheyne Horner Bookmark Bible Reading Plan


Chances are you've heard of the Professor Horner Bible Reading System AND you've heard of the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan. Both have been around for decades. The M'Cheyne Bible Reading plan has been around for over a hundred years. 

Personally I have slight issues with both plans in how they work for me and my Bible reading. I thought I might improve both methods by marrying them together. This is the M'Cheyne-Horner Bookmark system. It has FOUR bookmarks (not ten). It doesn't assign a specific number of chapters per day--like the M'Cheyne and Horner. It allows you the freedom to read a little or a lot. 

Bookmark one: Psalms. If you finish Psalms, rinse repeat. (I jest.) But seriously, just start it again-again-again. 

Bookmark two: Genesis through 2 Chronicles (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles

Bookmark three: Ezra through Malachi. (Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi).

Bookmark four: New Testament (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, and Revelation.

Though I didn't have an exact system of how many chapters per day to read, except for Psalms (which I expected to start again-again), I found it read evenly. I finished up the remaining three bookmarks around the same time. 

While I have never really loved either the M'Cheyne or Horner plans, this one that combines the best elements of both I found myself LOVING. I will definitely be using this plan again. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: