Tuesday, May 28, 2024

30. The Gospel According to Daniel



The Gospel According to Daniel: A Christ-Centered Approach. Bryan Chapell. 2014. 222 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: In recent years much of my time has been spent helping different generations of church leaders understand each other. 

What does a Christ-centered approach to Daniel look like? Well. I'm not the best judge even though I read the book. I can tell you what it does not look like. It is not a commentary or at the very least not a traditional commentary. It won't really focus on the context and cultures in which Daniel lived. It won't go into various views of what any of the visions mean. It won't go into anything remotely-remotely related to "end times" prophecy. It won't focus necessarily on how Daniel has been read and interpreted throughout the centuries. It will focus almost exclusively in making Daniel "relevant" with applications for how to better live for Christ in a compromising culture. 

I have always found Daniel a confusing book. I've never really tried to find ways to apply it, to make comparisons between Babylon's culture and our own, to look for ways to correlate our times with his. I remember liking the earlier chapters. It had me thinking about the pressures that Daniel and his three companions [among other captives] faced daily. They had lost literally almost everything--but were clinging to their faith in God. 

I read the book over too many months to keep a big picture. I wish I'd been able to read it within a week or two instead of six weeks. 



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: