Monday, April 27, 2009

DVD Review: Read and Share DVD Bible Volume 1

Read and Share DVD Bible: 13 Stories From the Old and New Testament: Volume 1

This DVD has thirteen bible stories (cartoon) designed to be watched (and enjoyed) by preschoolers. Eight stories are taken from the Old Testament--all from the book of Genesis to be exact. Five stories are from the New Testament--from the gospels.

These cartoon bible stories are based on the popular Read and Share Bible by Gwen Ellis. I would imagine--though I haven't fully looked at the book--that the book is more enjoyable than the DVD.

I love the Bible. I do. And I think it is good to immerse kids in the Bible early on. While it is important for bible stories to be on the level of the child, I do think it is important to start sharing as soon as possible. More details, more stories can always be later on as the child begins to grow and develop.

What is good about the DVD is that the bible stories presented are short and simple and age-appropriate.

What isn't so good about the DVD is that the animation is at best mediocre. While the animation matches the quality of some Christian programming on TV, it doesn't really hold up all that well compared with the best Christian programming out there. And don't even think about comparing the quality of this animation with secular cartoons and movies.

It might be difficult when it comes to holding attention spans because the quality just isn't there. Of course, that would depend on your child--your preschooler/toddler. And it might hold the less active, easily entertained crowd.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

2 comments:

Cynda Western Felini said...

I agreed with you in your review. Although, I did compare it to veggie tales. My thought being for the same price the animation should be the same quality.

Becky said...

I was comparing it to Veggie Tales too but didn't name names in my review :)