Saturday, December 5, 2009

Faith 'n' Fiction Saturday: Holiday Shopping



Today's topic is simple. What is on your recommended holiday gift buying list? A particular book you think everyone should read? A translation of the Bible you've found helpful? Even a new Christian CD is appropriate. Just let us know what you think is worth putting down your hard earned cash for this Christmas. This is not your best of list, we'll do that in a couple of weeks!

I'll start out with a handful of CDs.


As I mentioned earlier in the week, Andrew Peterson has rereleased his BEHOLD THE LAMB OF GOD. Since this one has been out of print, I just have to encourage people to pick it up and give it a listen. Though it is a "Christmas" CD in a way, this one is so good, you'll want to listen to it ALL YEAR LONG! (You can buy it as a 2 Disc Set or a Digital Download at Andrew's store.) That's probably the best way to support this amazing Christian artist, but you can download the album on Amazon as well.


If you want to buy everyone on your list this CD, he does offer discounts if you buy 5 or 10 copies. While browsing, I discovered that you can buy an Andrew Peterson boxed set. With six of his albums: Carried Along, Clear To Venus, Love & Thunder, Behold the Lamb of God, The Far Country, and Resurrection Letters Volume II. It doesn't include Appendix A. (Now just available as a digital download.) I think this is a little gem of an album, by the way. I just love, love, love Alien Conspiracy (The Cheese Song). Really, so many of these are great songs. A lot of personality. I love it.


Steven Curtis Chapman's Beauty Will Rise. Wow. Wow. Wow. I really think this one is a must have. (Because this one is easier come by than Andrew Peterson, I'll refrain from linking to all the places you can buy it!) These twelve songs are so amazing. You really have to experience this album all for yourself. The songs are so raw, so honest, so pure, so scriptural, yet so human. IF you take the time to read the lyrics, you will cry. But oh how these songs have blessed me...




Here's an audio book, I'd definitely recommend The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.


As for fiction books, these are the ones I'd recommend:

Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent
Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin
Lady of Milkweed Manor by Julie Klassen
A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman
A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman
A Passion Denied by Julie Lessman

1 comment:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Great suggestions Becky! I love Steven Curtis Chapman and seen him at Women Of Faith in October. Amazing!

I was busy yesterday and missed the Faith In Fiction post.... still may try to get it together today :)