Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February Check-In

What Bible(s) did I read from this month? NASB Quick Study Bible

How many books by J.C. Ryle did I read this month? I didn't read any book-books. But I've been reading from a collection of sermons. I read at least three or four Ryle sermons.

Favorite quote(s) by J.C. Ryle:
  • Did God create man at the beginning to be unhappy? Most certainly not. Are human governments to blame because people are not happy? At most to a very slight extent. The fault lies far too deep to be reached by human laws. There is another cause, a cause which many unhappily refuse to see. THAT CAUSE IS SIN.
Am I keeping up with my Morning and Evening devotional by Charles Spurgeon? Yes. Barely.

Favorite quote(s) by Charles Spurgeon:
  • “He has said” must be our daily resort.
How many books by R.C. Sproul did I read this month? 1

Favorite quote(s) by R.C. Sproul:
Why does someone worship God? Why give to Him reverence and adoration that is different from any esteem that might be given to anything in the created world? It’s easy to love God, be grateful to Him, and worship Him because of the wonderful things He’s done in history, and in our own personal histories—but a Christian’s reverence for God doesn’t rise to true worship until that Christian worships God not for what He has done but for who He is in His transcendent majesty. 
Did I read any Puritans or Reformers this month: YES. I read Richard Sibbes!
Favorite quote(s):
It is our chief wisdom to know him, our holiness to love him, our happiness to enjoy him. There is in him to be had whatsoever can truly make us happy. We go to our treasure and our portion in all our wants; we live by it and value ourselves by it.
Did I complete at least one book from the TBR Pile challenge? Which one?
KJV Reader's Bible. 2016. Holman Bible Publishers. 1840 pages. [Source: Gift]

Other Christian nonfiction books read this month:


Christian fiction books read this month:


How many "new" books did I read (published 2000-present)? 7

How many "old" books did I read (published before 2000)? 2

Which book was my overall favorite?



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: