Saturday, June 30, 2018

June Check-In

What Bible(s) did I read from this month? I've read a tiny bit in the NKJV. (Okay Genesis through Numbers isn't a tiny bit. It just isn't a lot.)

My main focus has been the KJV Chronological Daily Bible.

How many books by J.C. Ryle did I read this month? 1
Old Paths. J.C. Ryle. 536 pages. [Source: Bought]
Favorite quote(s) by J.C. Ryle:
I entreat you to observe how important it is for Christians to be sound in the faith, and to be armed with clear Scriptural knowledge of the whole system of the Gospel. I fear the increasing tendency to regard all doctrinal questions as matters of opinion, and to look on all “earnest-minded” men as right, whatever doctrines they maintain. I observe how one error in religion leads on to another. There is a close connection between false doctrines. It is almost impossible to take up one alone.

Am I keeping up with my Morning and Evening devotional by Charles Spurgeon? Yes.
Favorite quote(s) by Charles Spurgeon:
Admire the grace which saves you—the mercy which spares you—the love which pardons you!

How many books by R.C. Sproul did I read this month? 1
The Holiness of God. R.C. Sproul. 1985/2012. 226 pages. [Source: Bought]
Favorite quote(s) by R.C. Sproul:
The false conflict between the two testaments may be seen in the most brutal act of divine vengeance ever recorded in Scripture. It is not found in the Old Testament but in the New Testament. The most violent expression of God’s wrath and justice is seen in the Cross. If ever a person had room to complain of injustice, it was Jesus. He was the only innocent man ever to be punished by God. If we stagger at the wrath of God, let us stagger at the Cross. Here is where our astonishment should be focused.

Did I read any Puritans or Reformers this month: Yes.
 Commentary on the Epistle to the Romans. Martin Luther. 1954/1976. Kregel. 224 pages. [Source: Gift]
Favorite quote(s):
In this life we never reach such perfection that we fully possess God, but we must continually seek after Him; indeed we must seek Him evermore, as the Psalmist says in Psalm 105:4. Those who do not make progress in seeking after God, are bound to retrogress;... We must never stand still in seeking after God. (71)
Did I complete at least one book from the TBR Pile challenge? Which one? NO.


Christian fiction books read this month:  Maggie's Dare: The Great Awakening (Sisters in Time #3). Norma Jean Lutz. 2005. Barbour. 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]

How many "new" books did I read (published 2000-present)? 4
How many "old" books did I read (published before 2000)? 3
Which book was my overall favorite? Old Paths. J.C. Ryle. 536 pages. [Source: Bought]

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: