Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Bible Review: RSV

RSV. Revised Standard Version. 1952/2002. Oxford University Press. 1248 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

I think it's safe to say that this will be the last Bible I complete in 2018. I began reading this one the first week of December--around the 5th. I finished it December 26th.

This was my second time to read through the Revised Standard Version. There are things that I absolutely love, love, love about this translation. But then again there are things that I don't like about it too.

The RSV translation does an absolutely lovely job with the book of Psalms.

I was less pleased with their translation of Romans. I am disappointed in any translation that does not use the word propitiation. [Romans 3:25] That's a little pet peeve of mine, I suppose.

This translation is also known for translating Isaiah 7:14 with 'young woman' instead of 'virgin.'

Do you have translation pet peeves?

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: