Wednesday, July 24, 2019

On Migraines

So far the longest I've gone without a migraine this month is about forty to forty-four hours. Though I sometimes exaggerate (slightly) about how "horrible" a month has been in terms of number of migraines, no exaggerations this month.

I have never been one to have to know WHY, to demand to know WHY, to focus my energy on discovering WHY. Sometimes I've been tempted to cry out HOW LONG. Particularly when my rests between episodes/experiences are practically nonexistent.

I've about decided that the majority--if not the totality--of my spiritual warfare will stem from physical pain and suffering and the mental/spiritual impact of that. How can God be glorified in my pain? How can I honor God through my suffering? Where do I turn, where do I run? This isn't exactly suffering for Christ so much as suffering with Christ.

I can prepare for battle--prepare for suffering. The best weapon I have is Scripture. For it is in Scripture that I find hope, find peace, find joy, find strength.

Here are a few of my go-to verses that may help you out in your circumstances:


  • I lay down and slept; I awoke for the LORD sustains me. Psalm 3:5
  • I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait and in His word do I hope. My soul waits for the LORD more than the watchmen for the morning; indeed more than the watchmen for the morning. Psalm 130:5-6
  • The LORD will accomplish what concerns me; Thy lovingkindness, O LORD< is everlasting; do not forsake the works of Thy hands. Psalm 138:8
  • I will praise the LORD while I live; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being. Psalm 146:2
  • But Thou, O LORD, art a shield about me, my glory and the One who lifts my head. Psalm 3:3
  • This is my comfort in my affliction, that Thy word has revived me. Psalm 119:50
  • I am exceedingly afflicted; revive me O LORD, according to Thy word. Psalm 119:107
  • How sweet are Thy words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth. Psalm 119:103
  • I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; Indeed my mind instructs me in the night. Psalm 16:7
  • One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the LORD, and to meditate in His temple. Psalm 27:4
  • When Thou didst say, "Seek my face," my heart said to Thee, "Thy face, O LORD, I shall seek. Psalm 27:8
  • Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the LORD. Psalm 27:14
  • O LORD my God, I cried to Thee for help, and Thou didst heal me. Psalm 30:2
  • I will rejoice and be glad in Thy lovingkindess because Thou hast seen my affliction; Thou hast known the troubles of my soul. Psalm 31:7
  • I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1
  • O taste and see that the LORD is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! Psalm 34:8
  • The LORD is near to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
  • Delight yourself in the LORD and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4
  • The LORD will command His lovingkindess in the daytime; and His song will be with me in the night. A prayer to the God of my life. Psalm 42:8
  • Thou has taken account of my wanderings; put my tears in Thy bottle; are they not in Thy book? Psalm 56:8
  • I will cry to God Most High, to God who accomplishes all things for me. Psalm 57:2
  • Because Thy lovingkindess is better than life, my lips will praise Thee. So I will bless Thee as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Thy name. Psalm 63:3-4
  • When I remember Thee on my bed, I meditate on Thee in the night watches, for Thou hast been my help, and in the shadow of Thy wings I wing for joy. Psalm 63:6-7
  • Blessed be the LORD, who daily bears our burden, the God who is our salvation. Psalm 68:19
  • But I am afflicted and in pain, may Thy salvation, O God, set me securely on high. Psalm 69:29
  • But as for me, I will hope continually, and will praise Thee yet more and more. Psalm 71:14
  • With Thy counsel Thou wilt guide me, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? And besides Thee, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:24-26
  • Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His lovingkindness is everlasting. Let the redeemed of the LORD say so. Psalm 107:1-2
  • And he has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness." Most gladly therefore I will rather boast about my weakness that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Cor. 12:9-10
  • I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
  • This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
  • Rejoice in the LORD always, again I will say rejoice! Philippians 4:4
  • Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 2 Corinthian 4:16
  • This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope. The LORD's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness. "The LORD is my portion" says my soul, "therefore I have hope in Him." The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. Lamentations 3:21-25
  • Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering for He who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23
  • If then you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory. Colossians 3:2-4
  • Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


I have many, many more. But this is enough to work through today.


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: