Tuesday, July 7, 2020

6. American Standard Version Bible

American Standard Bible. 1901. Star Bible Publishers. 2037 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was waste and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep: and the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

I bought a reprint edition of the American Standard Bible (1901) several years ago--probably eight to ten years ago. It included a reprint of the Concise Bible Dictionary published by Thomas Nelson. I did NOT read the Bible dictionary. Though I find it quaint to see the black and white illustrations. There is something cozy and quaint about reading a reprint.


I enjoyed the ASV translation. Before committing to read it cover to cover--though not in cover-to-cover order--I had read bits and pieces here and there. I remember reading the New Testament and the book of Psalms the spring I first purchased the Bible. But I never got around to tackling the whole book.

The translation is a revision of a revision that would later be revised. That is it is a revision of the English Revised Version first published in 1885 which was a revision of the Authorized Version (aka King James Version). The New American Standard Version is a revision to this one. As is the Revised Standard Version (1952). Now the Revised Standard Version has two offspring: the New Revised Standard Version and the English Standard Version. So directly or indirectly the ASV made an impact.

I believe the World English Bible is another direct revision of the American Standard Version.

One of the big differences you'll notice is that the ASV uses the word "Jehovah" instead of "Lord."

Jehovah is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He guideth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; for thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
Thou hast anointed my head with oil;
My cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and lovingkindness shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of Jehovah for ever.

This translation is widely available in e-book editions. Though I think print editions are harder to come by.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: