Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Album Spotlight: Hymns


Hymns
Michael Card
2008
Available on Spotify or of course to buy

Michael Card released a second album of hymns in 2008. The title doesn't lie--you get HYMNS. 

Come, Thou Fount
Brethren, We Have Met To Worship
How Firm A Foundation
Jesus, What A Friend for Sinners
O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus
Softly and Tenderly
On Christ The Solid Rock I Stand
All That Was Lost
Look, Ye Saints
Praise to the Lord
Where Cross the Crowded Ways
Only His Wounds

I'm not sure when I first heard this album. If I discovered this one first and then Starkindler, or if I discovered Starkindler first and then this one. It doesn't matter. It doesn't. I am simply LOVING them both. 

I love the FLOW of the album. There may be a fancy word for this that I'm missing. But what I mean is how all the songs fit together and sound like they belong together. None of them sound out of place or thrown into the mix. It's a cohesive experience. 

I love the Celtic sound. IT's a great balance. The arrangements don't overpower the deep richness of the lyrics. (And the lyrics are quite theologically rich.) Yet the arrangements ADD so much. Everything is beautiful.

My top three would have to be Come, Thou Fount; How Firm a Foundation; and Jesus, What A Friend For Sinners. But the truth is these songs are simply WONDERFUL and MARVELOUS. And I've listened to them so often through the years that they feel like FRIENDS. 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: